Recommendations for a finish for Ash furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhossydd

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm building a set of bedside cabinets from English Ash with American Cherry tops.
The tops will be finished in Rustins Plastic coating for durability, but I'm not decided on what finish to use for the cabinet bases.
I'm looking for a low maintenance, low gloss/satin, durable finish.
Thoughts so far are either Melamine lacquer or Danish oil finished with wax.

Helpful suggestions and opinions very welcome.

Hi

This is olive ash finished with Danish oil and a few coats of wax, over the years:

Rocker.jpg

The level of gloss is dependant on how many coats of oil are applied - I think this chair had two coats.

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Rocker.jpg
    Rocker.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 894
If you are going to use Rustins Plastic Coating for the tops, why not use it all over? I know you said you want a satin finish for the bases but you could always dull it down with some wire wool and wax once it has cured.

One down side of RLP on ash is that it can be impossible to flatten completely - you always get left with shiny bits in the low areas of grain. It might not be important, but it's impossible to change - I'd try it on some scrap first.

mrpercysnodgrass":3tq5ha9f said:
If you are going to use Rustins Plastic Coating for the tops, why not use it all over? I know you said you want a satin finish for the bases but you could always dull it down with some wire wool and wax once it has cured.

+1

Avoid anything with oil. Unless you want your ash to look yellow! When I was on the excellent Modern Finishing course run by Bob at Peter Sefton's, I had the opportunity to play around with lots of different types of finish on various woods including ash. Rustins had the least effect on the natural colour of ash.

Rhossydd":14d14k4x said:
The tops will be finished in Rustins Plastic coating for durability, but I'm not decided on what finish to use for the cabinet bases. I'm looking for a low maintenance, low gloss/satin, durable finish.

I went on the same excellent course as Roger, but I'm going to disagree with him.

I did a few samples of various finishes on a piece of Ash a couple of years ago and I'm glad that I didn't choose the Rustins Plastic Coating. Imho, it really does look like a little "plasticky" and, IIRC, went a little yellow with age.

I made some ash side tables and I wanted them to be durable and heat resistant. I've been very pleased with the results. The finish is as good now as it was two years ago.

I used this. OK I know it is a varnish, but it is matt and has done an excellent job.

Neil

Thanks for the suggestion Neil. I'll give it a go. It adheres to my 'No Oil on Ash' philosophy :D

I'm surprised you thought RPC looked a bit plasticky. Did Bob not show you how to tone it down a bit?

RogerS":2vk7vdub said:
Thanks for the suggestion Neil. I'll give it a go. It adheres to my 'No Oil on Ash' philosophy :D

It certainly works for me. I'll try and take a photo of the different finishes tonight. I give it three/four light coats applied with a foam brush. After the first coat leave it for 30-40 minutes and then de-nib. Prior to the final coat it needs a quick rub over with carat paper.

RogerS":2vk7vdub said:
I'm surprised you thought RPC looked a bit plasticky. Did Bob not show you how to tone it down a bit?

I honestly don't remember Bob showing us how to tone it down, perhaps that was the advance course. :lol:

Newbie_Neil":193cxtwi said:
RogerS":193cxtwi said:

I honestly don't remember Bob showing us how to tone it down, perhaps that was the advance course. :lol:

'fess up....you fell asleep ! :wink: :D

Back