Reclaimed old oak and chestnut inlay.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoops!

Established Member
Reaction score
Senior's piece encouraged me to post this, something I finished for a client just two weeks ago
DCFN0007.jpg

The oak came from old joists from the clients house and must have been 2-300 years old. It was as hard as bloody iron and chipped almost anything that came into contact with it.

Decklan

Very nice Declan, I use reclaimed oak floor boards for drawer boxes, cheap wood but can prove expensive on tooling.

How true, my planer blades looked like something I bought off a car boot sale, and as for my router bits...,

Can't say how impressed with your work I was. really to good to see.
I'll humble off now on bended knee =D>

Decklan :-#

Blinkin'eck, just as well I've got my mate senior on my side, 117 views and only senior has something to say? Ta Senior, next round's on me..

And there was me really proud of this piece.... [-(

whoops!":2v5nwtmi said:
And there was me really proud of this piece.... [-(

And so you ought to be - very nice :wink: Like you, I've found some old oak can be very hard - looks nice when finished but can be very hard work.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Very nice piece - as I understand it, the tannin in oak gradually makes it harder as the years go by. Have never done anything in old oak but I have heard that its hard going - Rob

Thanks guys,
I've got a nice glowing feeling now.....

As for the construction, the clients didn't want to have a veneered surface as they want to have it as a used piece that they can put cups and the like on without worrying too much about the surface.As they also have loads of grandkids they specifically requested that the table can take the weight of a person standing in the middle. No mean feat (Pun fully intended !!)I can tell you :shock:
I rebated the rails and stiles and did 3/4 length Mortice and Tenon joints for the cross members. There were also 4 unseen cross members installed, In short the thing was built to last!!!
The chestnut was 27mm solid inlay, I dont generally like chestnut, too brittle and has a tendency to move alot, BUT the colour did go very well with the oak.
All the mitre joints were grooved and loose tongued and then further cross braced on the inside, and the usual sliding joints hold the top on to the carriage.
Got to say the amount of time in designing was ridiculous , and I spent far too much time on it whilst other work was building uo behind. Still the usual excuse of
"Just waiting for the wood to reach the correct moisture content,"
always comes in handy. :D :D

And as for 'work in progress'..., Doing a lovely Kitchen table in European Oak, 2metres by 90cm's wide. And have a small side gate to make to match a set of 4.7metre gates that I made at the begining of the year, Now those presented a set of problems...4.7 metres is HUGE :shock: , And 2metres high, all done in red cedar to keep the weight down, and to maintain stability due to length of the rails. I'll try
and find some photo's...
Right , break's over, back to it. ( and thanks for the interest.)
Decklan

Back