Recent weekend projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerTool

Established Member
Reaction score
Some of the things I seem to get volunteered for at my ex-wifes pub (those "are you busy?could you just..." sort of jobs) :-
Picture052.jpg

A load of floating shelves - ceilings are 10 feet high,and none of the walls are square :cry: - the right-hand wall is at 95 degrees to the back wall
Picture055.jpg

The left hand alcove - where the left wall is at 70 degrees to the back wall :shock: - I guess that's just how they built things 150 years ago..
And after changing the ballcock in one of the pub's loos this morning,made myself a new gate for the side of the house this afternoon(to replace the blue one that is currently there) - cost of timber £12.60 :D
Picture059.jpg

Hopefully I might get near my lathe again soon.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Interested in fitting some floating shelves in similar alcoves in our dining room.

How are they mounted, is it a torsion box type arrangement that slides over battens on the walls ?

Did you have any particular method for coping with the out of square walls ?

I've kept putting the job off as I wasn't too sure how to go about it, but SWMBO has reminded me just this very afternoon !

Thks

Shelves are 12mm mdf top,6mm mdf bottom,with 34x34 inbetween in a letter "E" configuration (long edge at the front) remembering to leave about 40mm from the three sides that will go against the wall.Then a solid pine lipping on the front,fastened with screws from the inside.
Walls had 34x34 battens fastened to them (same size as the internals of the shelves) on the three sides,then the shelves just slide on.
To cope with the wibbly walls,I fastened all the battens on first,then measured front and back of each shelf space individually and cut the mdf to suit.Used these to mark the lippings,and cut them at 95 degrees with the mitre saw (used a sliding bevel to measure the wall angle)

Andrew

Back