Radiator TRVs. Does anyone want to talk me out of removing them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A follow up. Another TRV Failed almost immediately on sorting out the previous one - same fault: split plastic in the insert. So I looked into some high quality ones in anticipation of replacing all the upstairs ones straight away.

I was surprised to find that Honeywell, Drayton and Danfoss all have plastic inside the inserts. Now I'm sure it's much better quality than the midrange ones that failed - maybe some type of GRP. But right or wrong, after my experiences, I don't want any plastic in them.

Fortunately, the Pegler Terrier 3 fits this criterion, so I drained the system at the weekend and fitted them throughout the upstairs.

It's hard to find pictures online of the valve internals, so for reference, here are pics of the Drayton, Honeywell and Pegler valves. Hopefully this may be helpful to anyone else in a similar predicament.

Thanks to all that contributed, Paul.

ps. I can recommend the Monument Olive Puller to remove the original olives. Sold by Screwfix, and saved me a ton of time.

Attachments

• Drayton TRV4s.jpg
    Drayton TRV4s.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Honeywell VT15s.jpg
    Honeywell VT15s.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Pegler Terriers.jpg
    Pegler Terriers.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 0
Stating the obvious but are they directional and on the right side ? Some are bi directional whilst others will have an arrow cast in to show flow direction.

Stating the obvious but are they directional and on the right side ? Some are bi directional whilst others will have an arrow cast in to show flow direction.
The blurb says the Pegler ones are bi-directional. I remember checking that the mid-range ones that they replaced were bi-directional and fitted on the correct side (and correct orientation). They worked fine with no hunting - until they failed. I think they were just cheap ones at mid-range prices.

I do wonder if the pump pressure was on the high side. I've turned it down a little, done a basic balancing, and all seems good so far.

Laugh time I saw the topic and my thought went straight to my Car head and then I read leaking and ceiling so I carried on reading then realised you 🙃 were talking about house radiator valves. 🤗🤗😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Back