Radial arm saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filsgreen

Established Member
Reaction score
"Well Good morning" how's that for originality :lol: Hi Everyone. Just about working my way through all the posts, what an inspiration to get out there and build something. The only trouble is I keep saying to myself "I'll just read one more topic". Anyway to get to the point, what advice can you give me about buying a radial arm saw? Obviously funds are limited so I can only afford the basic model but will it pay for itself? Any views gratefully recieved

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

Cheerful today? - must be the SUN! Radial arm saws eh, DeWalt springs to mind.

Obviously funds are limited so I can only afford the basic model but will it pay for itself?

That is dependent on what you intend to make with doesn't it? , which you haven't elaborated on yet.

cheers,

Ike

Morning Ike, you've got to be cheerful when you have two days off :D . To paraphrase Weasel off this forum, Its always worth remembering - he who dies with the most toys - wins!
I don't know Ike, i bought a mitre saw and it said it could trench, but when I tried it the depths of cut were varied and it just didn't feel right :( . As to what I'm building, I'm working on a scratch built Adirondack style chair, using a lot of mortise and tenon joints. I know I could use the router table or maybe the bandsaw, but I suppose I'm just like a lot of others who likes to have a lot of toys to play with.

Phil

I honestly don't know the scope and usefulness of a radial arm saw other than it probably benefits from a dado attachment more than a table saw does.

I used one occasionally in the past, but I didn't particularly enjoy using it. I think also they benefit from a decent infeed and outfeed bench which I suppose can double as a workbench etc, but otherwise would take up a lot of floorspace.

Dunno really. Do they have a 'killer app' where all the more usual workshop machinery falls down in some respect? Hopefully a more experienced user will chip in.

Ike

i've had my RAS for about ten years and regard it more as an old friend :) Its never let me down although I've only ever used it for cross cutting and trench cutting which it performs with ease and accuracy.
Its extremely powerful and very quiet but it does take up wall space probably more than most SCMS would require.
Would I change, probably, but only when I can find a SCMS with induction motor and trenching facility, and even then I may still hang on to the RAS. Its just so nice to use.
beejay

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Phill

You say the depth varied. Is that on different pieces of wood, or from front to back of cut. Not teaching granny to suck eggs :oops: but the piece being trenched needs packing out from the fence so that the centre of the blade is beyond the edge. Otherwise the radius of the blade reflects in the trench. :) :)

Les

Hi Les
I did pack the piece out, I think the problem is you have to force the arm down as you cut and it doesn't feel right, maybe it is just me :oops: It's been mentioned lots of times but Norm has got a lot to answer for, when he uses his radial arm saw it looks so easy. On reflection maybe it is that I am just inexperienced at this technique and when I have practiced it more it will become easier. Looking back at the original post, it is like asking how long is a piece of string. I was probably trying to get people to say that it would be a wise investment so that I could justify the £700 outlay, because I sure as hell can't justify it to my wife :(.

Phil

Phil

A radial arm saw is really just a crosscut device with (compound) mitre sawing and trenching capability. In a bigger shop it has its uses for crosscutting when breaking down stock, etc but a table saw with it's ripping capability (or alternatively a bandsaw) is probably more use if you're dealing with solid timber. Trenching can be performed just as well with a router and a home-made jig (which also allows you to do the better quality stopped housings, tapered housings, dovetail tapered housings, etc). So if you're budget runs to one main machine I'd do some more research and write down a list of objectives such as "rip solid wood", "mitre cutting", ""trenching", etc. Then rank them in order of importance and look how you can do the job with your current tool set. You may be surprised.

My first saw bench was a B&D circular saw screwed to the underside of a piece of plywood and held in the Workmate - rip fence was two bits of PAR studding and a couple of G-clamps and the whole shebang needed a couple of sand bags to stop it walking across the floor. I did my crosscuts with a hand saw and cleaned up on a shooting board. So there are other ways... These days I feel that you can achieve more with a small bandsaw in combination with a portable plunge saw/straight edge than you'll get out of a new RAS. Probably for less money too

Scrit

I totally agree 100% with that last post from Scrit.

I don't think you'll ever use the RAS to warrant to expense. The RAS we have here is just for crosscutting timber to size so it's manageable for the pallets. We never trench on it.

I'm using the combo that Scrit just suggested, bandsaw and a portable plunge saw/straight edge.

When i ever need to create any trenching then the router comes out with a jig.

Andy

Thanks everyone for the common sense opinions, and reality check :wink: . I have a bandsaw and a router table so why spend a further £700. It would be nice to have another toy even though I haven't really got the room for it :)

Phil

:D Hi phil I have got a Elu 1251 that I got second hand :lol: and it has been really useful at times I was thinking of getting rid of it then up pop a project that needed it so i will keep it .I Hate to mention the "d" word but it has to be said it is very good for trenching and shiplaps. The Dewatt 720 is the only new one that that the "d" but charnwood have got a RAS on special offer at the moment "here"
that can be used with a Eccentric Collars (Wobble Washers) i have had good use out of mine and was glad i brought it IMHO but others will have a different opinion what ever you decide enjoy it

martyn

martyn2":ymvfapoj said:
I hate to mention the "d" word but it has to be said it is very good for trenching and shiplaps.
That's the one plus point of a radial arm saw - you can cut trenches with a dado head in relative safety because your hands should be out of harm's way. I have done this, but very little work I do now calls for it and I doubt I could justify my RAS on that basis - in fact I'm beginning to doubt I can justify it at all.

Scrit

Sorry Phil, it sits next to the rip saw and the big bandsaw at one end of the shop and does the crosscutting when I'm doing the initial breaking down of stock, i.e. before it all goes to the P/T. Nice try, though :lol:

Scrit

Latest posts

Back