Quick and easy to build, but i like it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Wanting to get back to a little watercolour landscape painting after not putting brush to paper for nigh on 10 years, I realised i no longer had an easel

So, i got together some beech from old school tables that were thrown to a while back, and made myself a custom desktop easel. I decided to add a large drawer to hold the paraphernalia and am pretty pleased with the results. Everythig in one place and adjustable slope and board size to suit.

Very easy to build (the fingers needed some paring after cutting as they as so long and were too tight with glue applied.

Now, a little free time is all that is required......

FoldedDown.JPG

DrawerFullyopen.JPG

InUse.JPG

RearSlide.JPG

Tilted.JPG

Very tidy Tony!
Im still fighting with that ridiculous canted end box I told you about. Then you come along with something you just knocked up! Bah!

Cheers Mike

Very, very nice Tony,it's surprising how many artists also do woodworking too. :wink: It's about 8yrs since i picked a brush up. :)

motownmartin":2nvipyzk said:
Nice one Tony, I suppose you made it this morning :lol: Summer holidays soon mate :wink:

Ta :D

Nah. Made it during Easter, but didn't find time to post photos until now. Busy with the (all)day job :cry:

Philly":3ok6wpub said:
Very smart - you obviously put a lot of thought into the planning?
Cheers
Philly :D

Actually, I did. I had the idea drifing around in the head for quite a few days before I started the build and it did go through quite a few design iterations ( in my head) and I considered quite a few joint methods. Once the build started, it went smoothly and no design changes

All that thinking (procrastinating? moi? :wink: ) paid off in the end :D

By the way, this is the first real project on which I used the Osmo-PolyX. Superb!!

I like it very much. I have been thinking of something to make a good pal of mine for his 40th. He is a very talented artist and this may be just the ticket.

What do you reckon it weighs?

Cheers

Tim

tim":1244uk60 said:
What do you reckon it weighs?

Cheers

Tim

You're in luck, i am sitting in our study, next to the bathroom, with the easel next to me and scales in the bathroom :wink:

About 4.5 Kg with all the paints and a ceramic palette in, so probably 4Kg empty

That's a great pochade box Tony. (oops! Pochade/easel) You'd have people like Norman Battershill and Alwyn Crawshaw queuing up for one of those!

A proper box for all the panting litter is one of my 'one-day-I-might-get-around-to-it' jobs!

Nice work indeed.

Regards
John

kevin":2frrg64o said:
Very, very nice Tony,it's surprising how many artists also do woodworking too. :wink: It's about 8yrs since i picked a brush up. :)

Now come on Kevin. There must be some inspiring coastline up your way?

You'd have a shock at the price of art materials today though!

Regards
John :D

Benchwayze":fegk5urf said:

Regards

Student quality paint is very cheap circa £1.50 per 8ml tube and you only need 6-8 colours for landscapes as everything else is easily mixed

Artist quality £4.50-£6.50 per 15ml depending on the colours (but only 6)

I use 4 brush sizes that cost £50 in total (buy good quality sable/synthetic mixes as they last for 10-20 years if looked after properly)

Palette - i prefer cermaic as they don't stain £5.00

Paper.........

I was shocked when I went to stock up on paint. not feeling particularly flush (new plane had just arrived) I picked up the colours I needed in student quality when my wife walked over with her had full of tubes and said, put them, back and buy these artist quality paints :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wonder what she wants ? :?

Tony":228b13b5 said:
Benchwayze":228b13b5 said:

Regards

Student quality paint is very cheap circa £1.50 per 8ml tube and you only need 6-8 colours for landscapes as everything else is easily mixed

Artist quality £4.50-£6.50 per 15ml depending on the colours (but only 6)

I use 4 brush sizes that cost £50 in total (buy good quality sable/synthetic mixes as they last for 10-20 years if looked after properly)

Palette - i prefer ceramic as they don't stain £5.00

Paper.........

I was shocked when I went to stock up on paint. not feeling particularly flush (new plane had just arrived) I picked up the colours I needed in student quality when my wife walked over with her had full of tubes and said, put them, back and buy these artist quality paints :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wonder what she wants ? :?

Agree Tony, but your wife has the right idea for me.! Artist's quality are more reliable. You wouldn't use a chisel you bought from the local open-air market would you?
:D
Try the SAA.co.uk. They supply their own brand which is in fact W&N artists' quality, tubed up for them.

I use rammikins and rice-bowls for mixing colour. Lotsa room for loadsa colour and they are ceramic too.
Totally off topic of course!
Sorry.. Back to woodworking!

Back