Questions about 45

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whybob71

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
since I recieved my 45 I'm trying all the type of cuts. I have some questions:

1) When I use the plane on thin boards (for ex, when I make T&G joints), the hardest part of the job is keeping the plane stable; I made an extra wide fence to increase stability. It is possible to use an extra arm-fence (the one on the left with the rosewood knob) on the right of the plane? I can find it on ebay.........

2) I noticied that almost all the blades have an ugly bevel angle between 30 and 35°. The same on my 044 just recieved (I love it!!!!! :p ). Which is the best angle for these cutters? Since now, I have sharpened some cutters with a bevel of 30°, a secondary bevel of 32°. Is this OK?

Many thanks
Bob

whybob71":j9xhdybu said:
2) I noticied that almost all the blades have an ugly bevel angle between 30 and 35°. The same on my 044 just recieved (I love it!!!!! :p ). Which is the best angle for these cutters? Since now, I have sharpened some cutters with a bevel of 30°, a secondary bevel of 32°. Is this OK?

I don't know the reasons, but the manuals for both Stanley and Record tools recommend steep bevel angles for combination plane blades.

Grind at 30, hone at 35 IIRC

BugBear

bugbear":22iutitl said:
Grind at 30, hone at 35 IIRC

In "Planecraft" they advise keeping to one bevel to avoid the risk of altering the shape of the shaped cutters and because re-grinding could cause problems. I always use the one bevel method on mine.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Many thanks!

I agree on one bevel for moulding or shaped blades: in this case a single 30° bevel is OK? For straight cutters I assume that there is no problem on adding a secondary bevel or even a microbevel. Is it correct?

whybob71":2rtpafyw said:
I agree on one bevel for moulding or shaped blades: in this case a single 30° bevel is OK? For straight cutters I assume that there is no problem on adding a secondary bevel or even a microbevel. Is it correct?

I can't remember exactly what angle the bevels are but just keep the shaped cutters the same as the original angle. For straight cutters a secondary or micro-bevel should be OK :wink:

Cheers

Paul

Latest posts

Back