Question about side rebate planes and intriguing saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpinDoctor

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw a side rebate plane in a junk shop today. It was a double side rebate plane, the body was wood and the plate metal. It had two blades, secured with wedges. Every once in while I see one crop up somewhere but can't find any at the moment. Anyone know if they're worth anything?

I also found a cross cut saw where the medallion said queen victoria 1867. So I'm guessing the saw was produced to commemorate her. I've never heard nor seen one before... Anyone ever heard of one before and any idea whether they're of any value?

I didnt take pictures, thought that was a bit too much in the middle of the junk shop...

Your side rebate plane sounds like a design that crops up, fairly frequently, as a user-made tool.
As so much collector activity is focused on named makers, my impression is that they are unlikely to be especially valuable, though they can be interesting evidence of the maker's skill.
(For a similar example, compare a joiner's plane used to make a small groove - a 'drip' - under a window section or cill. These appear quite often, in a range of designs, and are almost always user made.)

SpinDoctor":1ginqjvs said:
Saw a side rebate plane in a junk shop today. It was a double side rebate plane, the body was wood and the plate metal. It had two blades, secured with wedges. Every once in while I see one crop up somewhere but can't find any at the moment.

Something like this one that I made earlier ?

side-rebate.jpg

Sorry about the grainy photo. I don't still have it to take a better one (it was for last years SS).

There's one ->here<- from Peter McBride's collection. He used to have some drawings with dimensions etc online that I was inspired by (read - shamelessly copied). Can't find them now.

Attachments

• side-rebate.jpg
    side-rebate.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 104
Sheffield Tony":2l5xxgvg said:
SpinDoctor":2l5xxgvg said:
Saw a side rebate plane in a junk shop today. It was a double side rebate plane, the body was wood and the plate metal. It had two blades, secured with wedges. Every once in while I see one crop up somewhere but can't find any at the moment.

Something like this one that I made earlier ?

side-rebate.jpg

Sorry about the grainy photo. I don't still have it to take a better one (it was for last years SS).

There's one ->here<- from Peter McBride's collection. He used to have some drawings with dimensions etc online that I was inspired by (read - shamelessly copied). Can't find them now.

Ya that's what I saw. Nice plane.

Here's the little plane.

Went by again today and grabbed it, along with the smallest brace I've ever come across. The irony in it is, it was a shop that was on the expensive side, and I expected the lady to demand a fairly high price for the plane of around at least 40, and maybe 10 for the brace and a few bob for the 9 bits. She looked at the brace and said 20 - they're real collectable ya know, the 9 bits which were nothing special and an incomplete set she wanted 30. Then she looked the little plane up n down and and gave a uninterested 10. So there you go she got their relative values completely backwards. So I left with a pretty good deal of 10 for the plane.

The little dots are dust mixed with water and the body appears to be mahogany, and the plate is steel. Very little rust or dings. It's definitely a well made plane. It looks like the front part of the plate is intended to be removed to nose into corners and where it joins the back plate is fitted very well. The metal work is done so well I'm wondering if at some time in the past the metal parts were sold as a kit, leaving the joiner to make the body - like so many of the chariot planes on the market these days.

I skipped on the saw, handle was in good shape but far too much rust on the plate - a shame really

Attachments

• Side rebate.jpg
    Side rebate.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 714
Back