Qiuangsheng Quansheng, Wood River planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
I am sure this question has been raised before. However is there any difference in the above planes?

They would all appear to look the same? Are they all from the same factory or are there real quality issues?

Thanks in advance

David

Bluekingfisher":2smtciok said:
Are they all from the same factory or are there real quality issues?
I believe they're all from the same factory - but different buyers order to different specifications, so they're not all the same in quality, machining or finish.

Or so I understand...

Cheers, Vann.

They are all basically the same along with Dick & Juuma, all are Bedrock designs.

The Woodriver has a slightly larger adjustment knob and also a bearing on the right/left adjustment lever.

As the WoodRiver Uk supplier I understand that WoodCraft started the quest for a quality plane at a reasonable price back some 7/8 years ago.

They found manufacturers and developed them to improve manufacturing quality, product design and quality control. This has continued and improved from a rocky start to the current day quality line up. I only carry approximately 1/2 of the full WoodRiver range as WoodRiver is thought by many in the UK to be the new plane range rather than the original. This is something I will develop as demand increases.

They have been at the forefront of the design and development and have quality inspectors based in the factories and the product design director is in the factories every 3 to 4 months working on new lines. Something I understand others do not do.

Some other dealers have made contact with the factory's and done direct deals or through far East dealers supplying similar products, some of earlier WoodRiver designs or products that did not make it to the WoodRiver (US market) are now sold by others. Various upgrades and versions have been made over the years and this has lead to a mixture of tools from the same origins with various versions and specifications being on the market leading to customer confusion.

Some of WoodRivers developments have been seen within other brands including the Dog Bone Y lever developed between Rob Cosmam and WoodRiver. Other designs have not yet been copied (yet) including the Knuckle Cap block planes and the No 93 large Shoulder plane. Some copied lines have been removed from sale after they have seen on the UK market.

I am pleased to be involved with WoodCraft and WoodRiver brand as we have a chain of custody of the products being produced and the owners of the development being paid for their work. This Provenance is a factor to me and the way I wish to do business.

These products will be being made by a variety of factories and not one single source, this is not unlike the same system that has been in Sheffield for the past couple of hundred years.

Just my take on the situation.

Cheers Peter

We have carried Quangsheng products as a direct customer since 2009. QS are a fantastic manufacturer to deal with, always very keen to hear feedback from end users that will help them to further refine and improve their products.

The planes are available in a variety of finishes and specifications to suit different budgets and tastes. My personal view is that if our suppliers are going to use the resources to make something, we have a responsibility to provide the necessary encouragement and budget for them to make the best job of it that they possibly can. Even if this means there is less room for lower prices or deeper discounts. Conversations I've had with Peter lead me to believe that WR take a very similar approach.

By focusing relentlessly on improving their capacity for quality rather than volume, QS have raised a few curious eyebrows in China, but the philosophy they have expressed in meetings with me, that quality is a route to volume, rather than a mutually exclusive alternative to it, certainly sounds more sure footed to me.

I was delighted to be offered the opportunity to develop a new product from scratch with them recently and chose an iconic British tool as the basis for the design. With a bit of luck we should be seeing it on the shelves later this year along with a couple of other new additions to our Quangsheng range.

matthewwh":3nxhpp23 said:
I was delighted to be offered the opportunity to develop a new product from scratch with them recently and chose an iconic British tool as the basis for the design.

A tow rope?

cagenuts":12ro8ijb said:
matthewwh":12ro8ijb said:
I was delighted to be offered the opportunity to develop a new product from scratch with them recently and chose an iconic British tool as the basis for the design.

A tow rope?

Anybody think of an iconic South African tool design? Or, come to that, an iconic South African design of anything. I'm racking my brain-cell, and so far I've drawn a complete blank....

Cheshirechappie":3m5acxer said:
Anybody think of an iconic South African tool design? Or, come to that, an iconic South African design of anything. I'm racking my brain-cell, and so far I've drawn a complete blank....

Well actually we do have one. Ever heard of the Workmate invented by Ron Hickman?

cagenuts":3j471m0j said:
Cheshirechappie":3j471m0j said:

Well actually we do have one. Ever heard of the Workmate invented by Ron Hickman?

It seems that RH was indeed born a South African. Mind you, he left many years before he designed anything - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Hickman

Close - but no cigar!

Back