qiangsheng plane youtube video

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fromey":1axw09th said:
Cool. Although it's definitely a quangsheng.

The company name is qiangsheng not quangsheng. Matthew called
the company quangsheng which is incorrect.

Ali

Heh, I suppose I could point out that the YouTube video is for a "WoodRiver"... :wink: Not sure just how much leeway there is in the spec, depending on what the customer orders? I mean is a new "WoodRiver" the same spec as a "Quangsheng V4" from WSH? Or a "Quiangsheng" from wherever? And did anyone faced with a Stanley Made in England ever say "Oi, no. That's a Chapman"? I'm inclined to stick with the names each dealer gives them, however typographically-challenged, and then you know exactly who's version you're talking about.

Of course, if they put their name to the planes anywhere at all, it wouldn't be open for debate...

Alf":38xqr5lt said:
Heh, I suppose I could point out that the YouTube video is for a "WoodRiver"... :wink: Not sure just how much leeway there is in the spec, depending on what the customer orders? I mean is a new "WoodRiver" the same spec as a "Quangsheng V4" from WSH? Or a "Quiangsheng" from wherever? And did anyone faced with a Stanley Made in England ever say "Oi, no. That's a Chapman"? I'm inclined to stick with the names each dealer gives them, however typographically-challenged, and then you know exactly who's version you're talking about.

Of course, if they put their name to the planes anywhere at all, it wouldn't be open for debate...

It still is a plane made by Qiansheng tools, that is certain :D
The new woodriver QS planes are called V3, whereas Matthew´s
are called V4. Now idea if their is a difference between them, but
I doubt it.

Rutlands which was also selling the same planes(Dakota planes):
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools/pl ... ng-tool-co.

Now they call them Dakota planes made by qiangsheng tool.

Dick biz sells them. Fine-tools sells them. Baptist in the Netherlands sells them.

All bedrock design with Bubinga(dick biz uses another wood) handles, thick blade and chipbreaker. They are all the same, but
there might be minor differences.

I guess Lie Nielsen, Clifton are going to see the sale of the
block and bench planes go down.

I don´t think Veritas is going to notice much because their plane
is differen from bedrock and has some nice extra features. I would
not hesitate to buy a Veritas if it weren´t that unattractive.

Ali

Yes, I have grasped they're made in the same factory, but as you say, we don't actually know they're all the same. And some definitely have differences. So flatly referring to them all by their manufacturer is potentially unhelpful.

ali27":3bgag235 said:

Maybe, maybe not. I don't really like Qiansheng planes but there again I'm not that keen on Lie Neilsen either (shock, horror! :shock: ) I'm a massive fan of the stay set irons on Clifton and Record bench planes but that's just me....

Alf":wteig7vq said:
Yes, I have grasped they're made in the same factory, but as you say, we don't actually know they're all the same. And some definitely have differences. So flatly referring to them all by their manufacturer is potentially unhelpful.

Alf check the specs

The only difference I have seen are the handles(colour,wood) and the brown colour of the Dickbiz planes.

If you also check the reviews on these planes you can see there is no difference.

The only difference is the newer Qiangsheng planes have some improvements like a better yoke and improved wheel adjustment and lateral adjuster.

They come from the same one company as far as I know, they have the same specs, they look identical, reviews show this too. Some minor cosmetic differences. I think it is fair to assume they are the same. I think that is helpful and not potentially unhelpful
Alf.

Let´s say I live in the UK and read good stuff about wood river planes and decide to buy this plane. If I bought from the UK, I wouldn´t have to pay for the high(I assume) shipping cost and taxes which I would have to if I had ordered from the US.

Ali

Plumberpete":3d9v8rbt said:
ali27":3d9v8rbt said:

Maybe, maybe not. I don't really like Qiansheng planes but there again I'm not that keen on Lie Neilsen either (shock, horror! :shock: ) I'm a massive fan of the stay set irons on Clifton and Record bench planes but that's just me....

Hey Pete,

I like the look of both the Clifton and Lie Nielsen planes. They
are too expensive for me. So these QS planes are very good for
me.

I could buy 2 or 3 bench planes, a spoke shave and two block planes for the price of one LN plane.

Easy choice for me. Sure the QS planes would need a bit more
fettling, but that is something I like to do.

Now I would be very impressed if all parts of the plane would
be stainless steel. I hate rust appearing on my planes.

Ali

studders":1ln7dxlt said:
ali27":1ln7dxlt said:
If you also check the reviews on these planes you can see there is no difference.

The only difference is......

Ali

:?

HAHA, good one :D , but you need to read the entire post.

Performance wise Studders, the planes are the same. There is
some cosmetic difference(different wood for the handles or different
colour).

Also the newer batch of the planes are slightly improved, but it´s not like one person is getting the new batch and other sellers aren´t.

-All from the same factory(as far as I know)
-All Bedrock designs
-same blade
-same chip breaker
-same yoke
-same levercap
-same materials(the castings and blade,chip,breaker)
-same dimensions
-same wheel adjuster
-same lateral adjuster
-same shape

Conclusion, they are all the same minus some minor cosmetic
differences that do not affect performance.

If there are differences that I am not aware of, I would like
to learn.

Ali

Plumberpete":2quronen said:
I'm a massive fan of the stay set irons on Clifton and Record bench planes but that's just me....
No, not JUST you. There's me, and there's Chapman (sorry Paul, I should ask before I slander your good name), and at least a few others on this forum.

Cheers, Vann.

ali27":181yvezm said:
Let´s say I live in the UK and read good stuff about wood river planes and decide to buy this plane. If I bought from the UK, I wouldn´t have to pay for the high(I assume) shipping cost and taxes which I would have to if I had ordered from the US.

Ali

This is exactly what I did. After a bit of Internet detective work, it was obvious the Woodriver and Quangsheng/Qiangsheng planes were effectively the same, if not truly identical. Thus the Woodriver reviews were very helpful in helping me decide to purchase.

ali27":t7sdp62b said:
Alf check the specs
I've yet to see any beyond fairly superficial stuff like paint colour, handle wood, etc. And type of steel used in the blade - which, um, incidentally apparently isn't the same for them all... But not, you know, the vaguely important things, like machining tolerances. I understand the Chinese have an excellent record of manufacturing stuff exactly to the specifications of the customer, and no more or less, so forgive me if I'm reluctant to assume they're manufactured to the same specification across the board until proved otherwise. But you're evidently not grasping what I'm getting at and are happy to go on appearances, so never mind.

Edited to add: What I probably haven't clarified is that I expect they are very similar, but the point is we don't know and I feel it's misleading to say we do.

ali27":qn8czzpv said:
Plumberpete":qn8czzpv said:
ali27":qn8czzpv said:

Hey Pete,

I like the look of both the Clifton and Lie Nielsen planes. They
are too expensive for me. So these QS planes are very good for
me.

I could buy 2 or 3 bench planes, a spoke shave and two block planes for the price of one LN plane.

Easy choice for me. Sure the QS planes would need a bit more
fettling, but that is something I like to do.

Now I would be very impressed if all parts of the plane would
be stainless steel. I hate rust appearing on my planes.

Ali

I see where you're coming from but I'd rather save up and buy one good plane than have twenty planes of a quality I'm unsure of. And if you're that skint and enjoy fettling then there are always cheap secondhand planes on auction sites that go for next to nothing and you really could have 2 or 3 bench planes, a spokeshave and 2 block planes for the price of 1 QS plane! :D

Vann":1ryew60g said:
Plumberpete":1ryew60g said:
I'm a massive fan of the stay set irons on Clifton and Record bench planes but that's just me....
No, not JUST you. There's me, and there's Chapman (sorry Paul, I should ask before I slander your good name), and at least a few others on this forum.

Cheers, Vann.

Glad to hear it! :D

Being from the same manufacturing plant means absolutely diddly squat.
The Chinese WILL alter specifications (tolerances etc) as their customer requires.
It MIGHT look the same, MIGHT be made of the same metals, but that DOESNOT mean that it is made to the same specifications.

Not that it matters, I for one ain't shipping a plane that cheap from over the pond.

Latest posts

Back