[Q] Bradawls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fromey

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old bradawl that was part of an assortment of tools I bought some years ago. I've never given it much notice, but recently decided to find out what they're all about. Once I discovered their intended purpose, I've noted that this one is extremely blunt (I wonder if it's been used as a screwdriver in the past). Bernard Jones "The complete woodworker" (1980) states, "A bradawl may be sharpened on a piece of stone." and leaves it at that.

My question is, are bradawls supposed to be sharpened up a bit ("on a piece of stone") or should they be sharpened to within a micron of their lives, stropped, polished, microbeveled, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Sharpened enough so that the first plunge cuts across the grain. You need it to be at right angles to the grain so it cuts, rather than wedging the fibres apart. A quick rub on a medium oilstone would be enough. Quite different from a screwdriver!

I know of three shapes of bradawl; (1) a screwdriver shaped one, with the edge sharpened slightly on a stone to as told by Andy to initially cut across the grain, (2) a square shanked one...dont know benefits of this, and (3) a round shanked one, sharpened to a point like an nail. Just different or special purposes? I dont know. Someone will though. I use a round one as in (1). Square ones are used for leather holes...I think. Best wishes.

AndyT":2kysw13j said:
Sharpened enough so that the first plunge cuts across the grain. You need it to be at right angles to the grain so it cuts, rather than wedging the fibres apart. A quick rub on a medium oilstone would be enough. Quite different from a screwdriver!

Surely not. I've seen many screwdrivers sharpened like that...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BugBear

twothumbs":15vy9kbk said:
I know of three shapes of bradawl; (1) a screwdriver shaped one, with the edge sharpened slightly on a stone to as told by Andy to initially cut across the grain, (2) a square shanked one...dont know benefits of this, and (3) a round shanked one, sharpened to a point like an nail. Just different or special purposes?

(1) and (2):

http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... -more.html

(3) is a marking awl (AKA scratch awl, scribing awl), used for layout; it's just a scratchy point.

BugBear

Hello,

Square taperd awls are my favorite (Birdcage makers awl) The round ones are garnish awls and mostly used for saddlery and leatherwork. Useless for woodwork unless pressed into service as a scratch awl, for marking out. Scratch awls are longer and thinner and often have a double bevel point and have a more ball like handle and better for the job, though not as good as a knife unless sharpened to an elliptical point, when they can be very good.

The 'screwdriver' tipped ones, (for want of a better description) are the most common and do want to be reasonably sharp. They are not temperd as hard as chisels, so no need to try to sharpen as pedantically. They can often be touched up with a mill file.

Incidentally, does anyone else call these tools sprigbits. I was brought up to call them this, but have only ever heard two other people call them this. One was Jim Kingshott, who wrote that it was a regional name and the other was an old fellow in a tool shop, asking for the same to a puzzled sales assistant. I translated.

Mike.

I've not heard the name 'sprigbit' but it makes sense in the same sort of way. Brads and sprigs are both small nails/pins so a tool to pierce holes for brads will be the same sort of thing as one to make holes for sprigs. Let's keep these names alive!

Yes I call it a sprigbit..... My old boss used to when I was a apprentice so I picked it up also. but I've never heard any body else call it that. He also called a flooring chisel/bolster a "flat iron". That's in rossendale, lancs.

Hello,

I'm from Liverpool, which, despite what the Government says, is in Lancashire. I wonder if 'sprigbit' is peculiar to Lancashire/ North West England?

Mike.

Back