PVA Life

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyNC

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just read a comment in another thread regarding PVA glue:"not suffered from frost damage" (by Peter Sefton).

Recently we moved house and my PVA wood glue was in the garage. When I came to use it, it did not dry clear, and I supposed it may have been frosted (unlikely) or been down to a low temperature.

Is this the case. ie if PVA gets too cold it loses its characteristics?

Cheers

Andy

yes, it is affected by the cold. My PVA dries white though rather than clear, so it may be the brand.

I would advise buying either the size that you will typically get through in about 6 months or the smallest economical one, to keep it nice and fresh, or go to tool station and get a litre of the everbuild d4 one. That will only cost about £6 IIRC. Buy one each spring, and bin the previous years one regardless of what is left. Unless it is a heated garage, or is inside you wont be able to do much gluing with PVA over winter die to the temperature required for curing.

Thanks Marcos.

I have recently bought the toolstation PVA Wood Glue Exterior 1Ltr at about £4 which is cheaper than the evostick 500ml it replaced. I'll keep it indoors in the winter and as you say replace annually. At £4 it's reasonably economical.

The other (evostick PVA) did actually work (low stress) but it was drying white which I don't recall seeing before.

Cheers
Andy

Back