PVA glue gone clear

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPW

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a 500g bottle of UHU pva glue, bought from Lidl a few years ago, that has gone clear or transparent or colourless. It's always been kept indoors and I squeeze the bottle before closing the cap to keep as little air in as possible.

Before going clear, it did get quite thick and I added some water to thin it. I thought I closed the top really tight, sometimes need pliers to open, but it seems air still got in.

I did a test, softwood to softwood seems to have glued OK. Later I tried softwood to oak, it just pulled apart really easily, the oak was completely clean with no glue penetration.

And there's a strong vinegar smell, and it's like thick nose mucus!

Attachments

• clear glue.JPG
    clear glue.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 96
"I have a 4 litre container of Selleys Exterior Aquadhere about half full which has been in my farm shed for around 3 years. When I recently opened it, the glue has none of the white or creamy white appearance it previously had and the smell is now pungent and nothing like the smell of normal PVA glue. The glue has gone opaque, almost colourless, but perhaps with a slight amber tint. It had not formed a skin on top, which I had expected as it slowly dried out in the plastic container. The glue no longer works.
I now find I have a smaller container of Selleys interior Aquadhere which has gone an opaque amber colour with the same pungent smell as the Exterior Aquadhere. The glues no longer stick."

... Source - http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/article ... -pva-glue/

As stated, bin it.

Back