Puukko

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Chaps

You might have seen my Secret Santa gift it is a knife blade, well I decided to have a go at the handle.

I laid out some wood to get an idea of what I wanted it to look like. Its Ebony from a knackered square Moose antler, Karelian Birch and more ebony.

I cut blocks out drilled holes for the tang in each piece and clamped them together with epoxy in between.

Then once the epoxy had gone off a set about it with Rasps, Dreadnought files, Files Sandpaper etc and this is what came out after an afternoons work.
Its got one coat of Danish oil on at the moment.

I made a brass thing (washer/bolster?) for the end and riveted the tang over.

Next comes the sheath, which should be fun.

Pete

Very nice! The black ebony pieces really give a contrast to the typical horn and Karelian birch pieces.

Pekka

Great.

Thanks a lot guys.

Now I've go the Karelia Suite (The Nice and/or This Week theme tune) going round and round my head.

BugBear

The blade looks good, I haven't sharpened it fully yet, I was going to make the sheath first.

Pete

Hi, TT

Not yet, I am thinking of using the black leather that I got as part of my SS gift, and doing a leather and wood one like the one for the Puukko that came with the gift.

I need some more tools as well an Awl and some needles for sewing it together with, still you can't have to many tools!

Pete

How ever you go about it I'm sure it wil look stunning. Are these knifes legal to have on you?

I've pm you :)

TT

jimi43":3k65sxmu said:
Are you sure that Danish Oil is the right Finnish? :mrgreen:

Dämn Jimi if I had the knowing of the word I would tellya off properly :)

I know nothing about the gift (where's the angelic smiley again?), but as you all know that Santa lives in Finland, I might say that Danish oil is Heresy, but Stockholm Tar is what we made in Finland for centuries after the poor sods in Sweden burnt their forests (and ours) for making the renowned Swedish steel :) And that's probably why Santa may have included some tar in the package.

I'm not admitting anything, but I know it's always a bigger job making the sheath than it is to make the handle. I'm really waiting for the sheath as the puukko turned out so special!

Pekka

Over the years I've bought a few knife making items from a Finnish Co. Brisa.

Seeing your lovely work reminds me that I've still got a few blades left to handle.

Rod

Back