Purveyors of coveted items

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There may be fewer completed project shown on here than you might expect but does that mean fewer projects are being done? Or could it be that few people are prepared to post pictures of their work? For example, I don't post pictures of my projects but I do make things. Sometimes large furniture pieces and sometimes small nick-nacks like boxes. I just don't feel any need to post pictures of my work and I am sure there must be others who think the same way.

Just going offtopic for a second - I think it's mainly down to the persons willingness to air their work among a crowd of some very skilled people, and even though I only recall one post where the criticism might have been taken hard; and it wasn't that bad in reality, it was just "that tenon looks like it was cut with your teeth" which I'm sure was tongue in cheeck, I think many fear the harsh words they expect, even though my experience over the last 6 years is they would invariably get comments that either praise or offer alternative solutions to any given "mistake".

I don't think Cutards point is entirely accurate, I think there's just quite a lot of the above going on.

A personal need for recognition isn't usually the reason why people post thier work, but a "here's what YOU can do" there are many WIP's by people I know do not consider themselves of any great skill AndyT being one such example, and another couple who consider themselves as rank wood butchers, but still produce some lovely pieces purely by way of methodical processes.

I've actually got a recent project on the go right now that is seriously fugly, but performs it's required function and purpose as intended - so I'll take a few pics and post it to put my money where my mouth is! :)

Edit - Ollie78's remark about "the nice stuff being made for those that can afford it otherwise we wouldn't have it at all" is well made, for me it's the artisans that make stuff to give inspiration - and I would echo the point, that Ollie humbly side stepped, that he is included - his planes are just beautiful (as are Bill Carters), and far more affordable than a Holtey.

I certainly post much of what I do in the hope it might encourage someone to have a go even if they're not confident. On the subject of criticism on here, it is virtually all constructive - a critical comment is usually backed up with an alternative solution or suggestion. The users here are quite humble anyhow, and know the level of quality of their own work.

I don't think anyone will argue about that, just the assumption by many beginners that these tools are actually needed and will automatically improve their ability. However did Chippendale, Riemenschneider etc. manage without them?

Chippendale died poor. Maybe if he was better at his job and had expensive tools he’d have done better?
Aidan

It will be interesting to see if over time the new forum software will lead to more projects being posted.
Previously putting photos up was a pain & lack of responses, judging by folks I’ve talked to, put people off posting projects. The new software makes photos easy to upload & at least with the like button you are getting some response.
Whilst I appreciate half a dozen comments of “nice” is rather banal feedback even if only in the form of a like makes the time it takes to post up a project seem more worthwhile.

I’ve got a number of expensive tools. They don’t make me a better woodworker but the right tool often makes the job easier. I’m very much a hobbyist but do a lot of projects on the house, furniture etc. I cost up what i would have to pay to get the work done then allocate myself 10% of that cost to a specific tool for the job. It’s my way of paying myself and has resulted in my owning a very good selection of tools for most tasks.

The likes of Holtey planes are more works of art that also have a practical purpose, those and many of the similar boutique tools are probably bought solely for the pleasure of ownership / collecting as anything else.
If my numbers ever came up, i’d take great pleasure in aquiring beautifully made things. Old and new that have or had a purpose. Would i use a holty plane?, maybe just to see how it performs but more likely it’d spend its time nicey lit on a shelf in the lounge.

I've got a plastic box it holds things very well, but I might buy a wooden one, it will hold things very, well it will cost 10 times as much as the plastic box but it will make me smile for no good reason. Maybe back on on topic celebrating crafts people :) . ORD Knives
I picked up an ORD knife at a game show a long time ago. He was just starting out at the time. I did a give away for it on British Blades. Seems to have gone from strength to strength.

Were I a multi millionaire I might well fill my workshop(s :ROFLMAO: ) and kitchen with this gear, but that's not really the point. You buy the stuff because you like it, not because in the huge majority of cases it does its intended job (I doubt some of it even has an intended job) better than a good tool at a fraction of the price -it doesn't.

I always find the biggest challenge is in finding decent mid-rangetools. There is a mass of cheap/poor tools made down to a price and sold either on-line or in the DIY sheds or alternatively the hign end tools. The manufacturers who used to sit between the two extremese seem to be moving down the cheaper route to try and compete, so standards appear to be slipping within the established mid-market brands.

Faced with the choice of buying a mid-market product and hoping it will still be ok I can understand why people are gravitating towards the higher-end products, where at least you know it will perform without frustrations.

a visit to Kelham Island museum will reveal showcases full of the very best finished tools sheffield could make. they still were not flashy. just better finished and with boxwood handles. sheffield made tools from the golden age really are a marriage of form and function. boutique tools are fine in my mind they even allow us to discover through someone else's efforts exactly what made certain tools so useful(I'm thinking hollows and rounds and bevel up bench planes) but a showy hammer seems a bit ott. also I don't think chasing better steels is in anyway productive in hand tools. I use a lie nielsen block plane for a user. its not better than a Stanley. its only advantage is the iron tends to not rust like carbon steel.

The manufacturers who used to sit between the two extremese seem to be moving down the cheaper route to try and compete, so standards appear to be slipping within the established mid-market brands.

This phenomenon seems to be occurring across the economy. Clothing/accessories is another example where the traditional high street brands are being beaten all over by people who just want cheap, but the designer brands aren't suffering, so there's a widening gap appearing between the two ends of the market.

I wonder if, over time, we'll see a resurgence in smaller firms catering to the mid-market?

On the one hand we complain that people won’t pay going rate for handmade furniture, and in the same breath criticise toolmakers for charging for their time in designing and making tools.

A handmade table has little more functionality than an IKEA table.

If people have the money and desire to support crafts people who are spending the time trying to optimise on design or performance rather than trying to hit a price point, that’s to the benefit of everyone.

whilst people don’t post as much on fora, Instagram has plenty of people posting what’s being made in workshops, sheds and garages.

On the one hand we complain that people won’t pay going rate for handmade furniture, and in the same breath criticise toolmakers for charging for their time in designing and making tools.

A handmade table has little more functionality than an IKEA table.

If people have the money and desire to support crafts people who are spending the time trying to optimise on design or performance rather than trying to hit a price point, that’s to the benefit of everyone.

whilst people don’t post as much on fora, Instagram has plenty of people posting what’s being made in workshops, sheds and garages.

Couldn’t agree more Tom, some of these tool makers are keeping very traditional crafts alive, personally I think this is important as we see more & more crafts disappear & I doubt any will end up millionaires unlike the owners of mass produced tool tat.

As for Instagram it really is amazing how many amateur woodworkers there on there posting quality woodwork, which bodes well for the craft.

I'd like to know how many Holtey planes are actually in use at any given time. You have to think that most are collectors items? Undoubtedly beautiful and a mastery of form and function.

They are wonderfully made and just as exquisite in places you don't usually see as where you do. He is also not often credited with the depth of innovation shown in gis planes. I have a few and all are used although, sadly, much of his output goes to the US and sits in glass cabinets.

Jim

I always find the biggest challenge is in finding decent mid-rangetools. There is a mass of cheap/poor tools made down to a price and sold either on-line or in the DIY sheds or alternatively the hign end tools. The manufacturers who used to sit between the two extremese seem to be moving down the cheaper route to try and compete, so standards appear to be slipping within the established mid-market brands.

Yes. I was brougt up with the "If you can't afford the best, buy the best you can afford" mantra - now I rarely buy tools but by either first class kit or cheap gear for one job - if it lasts longer, it's a bargain.

They are wonderfully made and just as exquisite in places you don't usually see as where you do. He is also not often credited with the depth of innovation shown in gis planes. I have a few and all are used although, sadly, much of his output goes to the US and sits in glass cabinets.

Jim
Jim I'd love to try one out and I have no doubt the quality is literally second to none in terms of design and utility. As someone who messes at the most basic level of tool fiddling I'd be ecstatic to try one. No real chance of it happening in my lifetime. There you go. No realistic chance of me driving an Aston Martin One-77 to work to clean windows either but still. I'll manage.
I've seen Oliver Sparks' planes in real life a couple of times at shows. I know I don't need one, can't use one, I wouldn't even know where to put it in my shed. I'd have to leave it in the house in case the other shed tools beat it up by'mistake'.

And yet.
Oliver Sparks planes make me go all funny inside. I want to pick them up and look at them and stroke them forever like some sort of weirdo.
They are objects of art and beauty that make me go all steam train enthusiast. But they are only tools.

I'm not ashamed. I won't ever own one unfortunately
What is a world without beauty, however you find it.

Back