Purveyors of coveted items

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anyone will argue about that, just the assumption by many beginners that these tools are actually needed and will automatically improve their ability. However did Chippendale, Riemenschneider etc. manage without them?
Don't think that is what the thread is about. I also covet Aston Martins. I don't suppose I'll ever own one, they are completely unnecessary, but very nice all the same. It's all about the workmanship and why some folk will buy handmade wooden furniture rather than machine-made MDF stuff, Aston Martins and posh hammers.

Cheers
Richard

Not really in the same league as some of the tools here, but I recently upgraded my Wickes own combination square to a Starrett. The difference in feel in the hand and how secure the lock is is incredible.
At the end of the day though, they both measure things and are square. I won't suddenly improve from the new one, but it does make using it a bit more enjoyable.

On the one hand we complain that people won’t pay going rate for handmade furniture, and in the same breath criticise toolmakers for charging for their time in designing and making tools.

A handmade table has little more functionality than an IKEA table.

If people have the money and desire to support crafts people who are spending the time trying to optimise on design or performance rather than trying to hit a price point, that’s to the benefit of everyone.

whilst people don’t post as much on fora, Instagram has plenty of people posting what’s being made in workshops, sheds and garages.
Exactly!

I know blacksmiths who have spent £150+ on a hammer and I respect supporting hand-crafted tool makers but i can't think of a single hand tool i spent more than £20 on :unsure:
But to add to the conversation, "Finin Liam christie" is an amazing smith though the price of his custom hammers would make your eyes water and there was a 2 year waiting list the last time i checked!

There are undoubtedly many people who believe owning an Aston Martin would make them a better driver. Probably not very many who believe owning Aston Martin would make them a better businessman.:LOL:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone, as long as they can afford it, owning and driving a luxury car for the sheer pleasure of using it in the same way as another person might equally enjoy their Ford Fiesta or Reliant Robin for that matter, we're all different.
I'll never be in a position to own an Aston Martin unless I bought an older model but I have driven a DB8 which was an extremely enjoyable experience, a better driver, no, except that the car felt very safe, a better businessman I have no idea, it certainly wouldn't make me a worse one if the finances were there.

It's always the same argument whether cars, tools or whatever and if the only option was to get from A to B then there are other cheap ways of doing so just as you could use Lidl powertool instead of a Festool for woodwork or maybe a cane, string and bent pin to catch a trout rather than use a nice Hardy rod. Not everything is about how much something cost, we all have different attitudes to value, it's about being able to choose.

I'll never be in a position to own an Aston Martin unless I bought an older model but I have driven a DB8 which was an extremely enjoyable experience
Meeting up with some friends in a pub, one of them asked if I had seen his new car in the car park. I hadn't so he threw his keys on the table and told me to take it for a spin. That is how I came to be driving a Ferarri for the only time in my life.
When I got back the conversation went like this:
Friend: How did it go?
Me : Absolute disaster.
Friend: (Face fell) What happened?
Me : I didn't see anyone I know.

But to add to the conversation, "Finin Liam christie" is an amazing smith though the price of his custom hammers would make your eyes water and there was a 2 year waiting list the last time i checked!

If there's a waiting list despite the price that does say a lot about his craftsmanship though. Or it means a lot of people with money want to own one of his pieces for whatever reason. Either way, we need more people like him and more customers like his!

Back