Pugh auction - Ledbury - Saturday

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't make this one Roger. A little annoying as there seems to be a lot for the turners.

Dave

The wood I purchased at previous auctions has been of such a poor quality that I doubt I'll ever visit Pugh's again.

Gill

The biggest problem was moisture content. Do you remember how heavy the oak was that I purchased and which you kindly helped me to load into my car? How long ago was that? I can't remember if it was last year or the year before. Anyway, I left it in sticker properly protected and when a friend with a moisture meter tested it earlier this year, it was as if the wood had been left outside in the open elements. Completely sodden. Despite sealing the endgrain and stacking it flat with space for the air to circulate, the boards had split and warped. Yet boards I'd purchased elsewhere and which had been stored in the same manner were perfectly fine.

It's not the first time I've had to throw out wood purchased from Pugh's but it will be the last.

Gill

I went. Just got back.

Bought a nice box of elm offcuts for £6. Bought a nice lump of seasoned elm for £36. (76 x 13 x 5 ½inches) . A bit woodwormy but not that much. . Lots and lots of turning blanks etc.

Some huge slabs of 20 year airdried oak at very good prices.

Was very restrained on the whole until....um...we came...um...to the general tools section when I....um....bought.....um ...some tape measures.....um...26 of them :oops: Well, reckon that's 13 for me to lose and 13 for the lad who's working on the cottage to lose.

Back