Prostate cancer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Its Prostate cancer awareness week, so I telephoned my surgery and asked for a blood test, when I attended the appointment the nurse asked which doctor has asked for the test, I said none, I thought it was awareness week so I telephoned for the appointment myself.
The test was refused unless a doctor arranged the test until after examination.

Does this apply everywhere in the UK.
Onl the Australian forum it is a hot topic and they seem to have regular blood checks without examinations.

Yes I would think that doctor referral is the norm John, diagnostic of the prostrate is not easy and the blood test is only part of the symptom appraisal.
Doctor will go through a series of diagnostic questions and in all probability carry out a physical check for hard prostrate nodules or other abnormalities before doing the blood test.

Blood test is not usually done on same day as physical because physical can influence PSA count.

The PSA count is only just another indicator, usually if it starts changing significantly.

My doctor combines it all with a full MOT of Blood/water tests for sugar, diabetes etc.

I just mentioned it to the doc the last time I saw her and she arranged it. Probably something to do with the return of results - has to have come from a doctor to start the trail.

I used do a general blood test at leat once a year ( I think is call full Hematology with a few more Bilirubun, Proteins, Glicemia, etc) How is work in this country? If I go to my GP can I ask him to send me to do the blod test? or I have to pay it privately?

Andy. On the NHS there is no charge but appears the blood test has to be authorised by your GP.

RS, you have good perception, latex exposure booked for Tuesday. Does that mean I will no longer be a v.............? :)

Mnnn, But Can I ask my GP to authorised one for me? simple as that or I have to be sick?

devonwoody":z4nhp7jd said:
Andy. On the NHS there is no charge but appears the blood test has to be authorised by your GP.

RS, you have good perception, latex exposure booked for Tuesday. Does that mean I will no longer be a v.............? :)

I eventually made a telephone consultation with my GP and he asked me a series of questions, then the doctor said I have to come down for a visit to his surgery because my answers were in the negative area.

So either make an appointment to see your doc. in the normal manner or if you have telephone consultations you would find out if you need to proceed further.

I had surgery for prostate cancer in Oct last year, this morning I received a letter informing me that some where along the line a 'small number' of clinical biopsy tests were screwed up by someone and mine 'may have been one of them!'
Happy days!

Roy.

CHJ":2qahvnrf said:
Doctor will go through a series of diagnostic questions and in all probability carry out a physical check for hard prostrate nodules or other abnormalities before doing the blood test.

Blood test is not usually done on same day as physical because physical can influence PSA count.

The PSA count is only just another indicator, usually if it starts changing significantly.

My doctor combines it all with a full MOT of Blood/water tests for sugar, diabetes etc.
All medical advice is to do the PSA before the digital exam because, as you say, it can cause elevated PSA levels.

However, a high PSA result does not indicate cancer. You also need a 'Free-PSA' (FPSA or PSA-f) to determine the number of unbound antigens. The key indicator on that test is below 15% probability is high and you should have a biopsy. If you have a really high FPSA result - don't worry!

Digit":20cv8evm said:
I had surgery for prostate cancer in Oct last year, this morning I received a letter informing me that some where along the line a 'small number' of clinical biopsy tests were screwed up by someone and mine 'may have been one of them!'
Happy days!

Roy.

It would have been worse if it was the other way around. I have a friend who self diagnosed with cancer, but their doctor refused to believe them for six months, a delay which led to a year of chemo and major surgery...

My GP wouldn't accept that I had cancer either, I had to push for the tests, he ended up apologising to me!

Roy.

Addition to my earlier post. I am one of the 'small number' of men whose biopsy results have to be checked. According to BBC Wales tonight the number is 258. I wonder what constitutes a 'large' number?

Roy.

Back