Problems with sealey lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventurecub

Reaction score
Hi there, new here, have had a sealey lathe for about a few months and only used it a handful of times. All was fine until one day pushing the start button only makes a buzzing noise but no movement. Wondering if anyone has had a same experience or any ideas what the problem may be. Thanks in advance. Connor

What is the model number of the lathe and what type of motor is fitted?

Does the lathe spin up if you spin the chuck/faceplate by hand when you press the start button?

Hi...I have a sealey lathe and this is maybe a silly answer....but is the spindle lock pin engaged? I sometimes forget to release the pin and it makes a buzzing noise.

I suspect the starter capacitor (which CHJ might be implying too). Can you ''bump start'' the lathe when you turn it on?

Hi guys this for all the replies. Appreciate it. Actually just got a hold of another lathe of my boss. It seems nice and sturdy. But would like to fix this one and hopefully sell it on. Here is a video clip f what I get. I will try and bump start it tonight and let you guys know. Cheers

https://m(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=BcFAGIbOFkwsss

Yes, that NVR does sound a bit odd doesn't it. It did seem to latch though as the stop button appears to have worked?

Start capacitors often burst their cases when they go so a visual could confirm this.

Back