Problem with Makita router - any ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalimna

Established Member
Reaction score
Deanston, a stones throw from the Distillery
Greetings folks,
I've been building a couple of things in the run up to Christmas, and my router seems to be playing up. It's a makita RP2301 that I've had for a couple of years, but only gets intermittent use.
Basically, it seems to lose power, almost spluttering like a lawnmower does when it is running out of petrol. And then seems to work fine for a bit. Obviously this doesn't make for comfortable or accurate routing if the power fluctuates mid-cut.
I wonder if there might be something simple that could be repaired, like the bushes (how might I tell if they need replacing?) or the trigger switch (can they be relaxed easily, for instance?), or is I it destined for the great recycler in the sky?

I appreciate any help, as it is a fair old expense to replace!

Cheers,
Adam

Adam I don't know if this will be any help to you but I`LL tell you any way. Yonks ago my big bosh router started playing up, the speed would drop down and then pick up again with out me touching anything. I have one guy that I buy every thing for power tools from, I told him what was happening and a little later he turned up with a small part for the router and a diagram and it only took me a couple of minuets to fit and it has been as good as gold since.
Now the bad part it was so long ago I cant remember what it was or how much it cost, but my tool guy said as soon as he described what was happening Bosh knew straight away what it was. I was thinking if you contact the link that pete has up they may know what it is. Its worth a try.

If they are short or the ends burnt and crumbly you should replace them, I have a 3612c which has the same brushes if you need a length measurement let me know.
You can check the mains lead by running it and gently pulling it from about a foot away from the router, be careful and don't have a bit in it.

Pete

Hi Pete,
Thanks again, if you could let me know how long the brushes should be, that'd be great. I'll check them tonight.
I rather hope it is something straightforward like that, as in other respects I think it's a great machine.

Cheers,
Adam

Not familiar with that particular model but faulty variable speed units produce that sort of intermittent running. Or it could simply be worn brushes or broken cable - as suggested.

Hi Pete - Thanks for the info. As it happens, I had a look at the brushes last night and I think they are fine - there is apparently a wear line that hasnt yet been reached.
However, on having a closer look at the trigger (opening up the handle and clearing the incredible amount of gunk that accumulates in a supposedly sealed unit), I think the gunk might have been causing a problem. Unfortuntely a spring on the trigger-lock-button pinged off into the depths of the garage, never likely to bee seen again. I hope it wont be an actual problem as I dont use the router in constant-on mode, and if/when I get around to having a router table I suspect I'll purchase a dedicated router there and then.

Many thanks for advice given,
Adam

Is the spring biro spring sized? Have you got a magnet a good sweep around might just flush the little pipper out!

It looks like the springs in the trigger are both £1.20 each (32 and 34 in the link I posted)

Pete

Perhaps if I posted a photo of my garage, and the area it pinged from you would understand :) Between the mass of nooks and crannies around 'stuff' and the mass of unsweeped-up walnut router shavings on the floor, I fear Sisyphus would have had an easier task :) And a couple of quid for a new spring isn't too bad in the grand scheme, is it?

Cheers,
Adam

Back