problem with lathe cl3

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilwyn

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys recently upgrade to cl3 not knowing its a 2001 model got set up on a long workbench.. used it on wednesday and suddenly it stopped .knocked power off .opened top cover spindle was jammed. released inner and outer locking ring.only had engine oil in garage poured little at a time in oil cap.then it released it self was wondering have i damaged bearings .not to keen on trying to change bearings never done it before being a novice only in learning process in woodturning .so shall i run it and try.should i get engine oil out of thereand can i use gear box oil 30w would be grateful for any help or advice any one could give cheers guys..it can only happen to me ................

I use any car oil I've got lying around in the shed for my cl3, you only need a couple of drops, literally, each time you use it.
I would switch it on and try it,but, if it cut your power off, that could be something different.
I would try it myself but then, am a bit gung ho anyway.

Hi

You won't do any harm using engine oil although heavier weight gearbox oil would be better. Was the bearing housing hot / warm after it seized? The taper bearing on a CL3 can get warm during use and if there was no oil present it may seize due to expansion. It sounds like this has happened and it's freed off as it cooled. I'd adjust the bearing, run it slowly and oil it. Listen for grinding noises, if all sounds well you should be OK. Keep it oiled and recheck adjustment after a short while.

Regards Mick

stevenw1963":13w0nffi said:
I use any car oil I've got lying around in the shed for my cl3, you only need a couple of drops, literally, each time you use it.
I would switch it on and try it,but, if it cut your power off, that could be something different.
thank you for advice.not sure how to adjust bearings though..........

stevenw1963":2aa6u623 said:
thanks dilwyn

Hi - I had a similar problem with my CL-4.
I took everything apart - cleaned and polished the main shaft and bronze bearing; but when running at the higher speeds there was a 'knocking' noise, so I ended up replacing the end bearing, the bronze bearing and the main shaft - not as expensive as you may think.
Support from Record power was excellent (even if they did send the wrong shaft initially) - their advice re oiling, is little and often; if you do put in too much then the spinning forces "spit it out" which creates a mess both inside the main body and outside all over the walls - and you if you happen to stand in front. I use the record power branded oil, and a childrens medicine dropper to put the oil in - a couple of drops before each turning seems to be more than enough.
Getting the right adjustment is a matter of trial and error - again the advice is to tighten up so that you can only just move it by hand - run the machine for a bit, then slacken off until it moves easily by hand - but not freely spinning, if that makes any sense at all.
Best thing to do is call Record power and speak to one of their support engineers...

Hope this helps

Chris

I did tell you To make Sure It was Oiled Before use and keep it Topped Up Otherwise it will seize up lets hope its ok if it needs bearings ill fit them for you I told You to oil it that was on my visit Sunday. so really there is no excuse call me if your stuck

Bill

Back