Problem planing timbers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PeterPan":30nv4xek said:
...but who actually planes to a final finish anyway.
Most often everything we make gets a final "polish" via handplane. Polish here means an exceedingly light cut, almost a burnish it is so fine.
You can have a plane that handles 99.9% of a panel perfectly, but if there is one tiny area with a difference, you aren't finished.
Pretty much why there are scrapers, or my final planing.
And anyway, almost all the time some finish will be applied.
The finish will magnify faults in the preperation, whether caused by a handplane or sanding.

Don't get me wrong. There are many times I sand prior to finishing--I just walked in from sanding some cherry bookcases. But certain work in our shop nearly demands a final planing.

But then, we're just a little bit crazy :lol:

Rowed grain is perhaps consistantly difficult. You either A) know what you are getting into; or B) can take a different approach. Every knot has reversing grain around it that will test you as much as the worst reversing grain. Every burl, the same. It is the grain not the speecies. Of course some species have consistantly nasty grain - see it's circular!

I think any time one pits a plane against an ultimate result it's a contest type mentality. Like choosing your family car because it did well at the Indy 500.

It's not a burnish if it cuts. It's a burnish if you press down hard with a smooth object.

If you are planing your finished surfaces. Every one of them, moldings, raised panels, edges etc... to final with no paper, scrapers or finish to even out the results, then your stuff either looks very uneven, or you are really good. I frankly have never seen that done.

I have taken a cut or 4/10000" off dry pine, so that at a low angle one could clearly read the overhead lighbulb in the surface. But it is very difficult to get that surface over the whole piece, unless the pieces are all square as with shoji. Shoji wood is very highly culled. It is way better than aircraft grade, like one piece in 1000 for aircraft grade.

What diffs the process that can be used on a piece isn't just the tool or the craftsman, but mostly the grade off wood. The reason we moved on to planes and such from open knives is the decline in the average quality of wood. So often the claims for great performance are just an unwillingness to work in the wood of the day (and who can be blaimed for that if one can pull it off). There is so much free wood, one might as well be choosy. It's interesting that many modern craftsmen are moving backwards, I have often wondered what the big deal with sub-blades is. Well part of the reason is that while the average wood is worse, you can choose to work in only the best wood where a SB isn't even necesary. Like they say Tores never built a guitar with a soundboard as good as the factory rejects of today.

PeterPan":2zmfpanb said:
...It's not a burnish if it cuts. It's a burnish if you press down hard with a smooth object.
I understand the difference. Which is why the key phrase was, "almost a burnish it is so fine." The preceding sentance did say it was cutting.

...If you are planing your finished surfaces. Every one of them, moldings, raised panels, edges etc... to final with no paper, scrapers or finish to even out the results, then your stuff either looks very uneven, or you are really good. I frankly have never seen that done.
Then it must be uneven, because I would venture I'm not "that good." And in truth, there is a certain uneveness to some surfaces. Perfection is elusive. But also, like I wrote, I do use sandpaper (which btw, doesn't leave a perfect surface either) as well as scrapers. But for most (higher paid) commissions, the "show" surfaces are final planed. Guess it's good enough.

...The reason we moved on to planes and such from open knives is the decline in the average quality of wood.
Really? That's an interesting view, one I hadn't ever read.

Other than certain species (such as Cuban Mahogany, old growth Redwoods) being either protected or near extinction, what do you mean?

Back