Popular popular?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickymint

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the oportunity to collect some reasonable lumps of green popular. I know very little about the wood's behaviour and or it's suitability for turning projects, either green or seasoned.

After searching the forum and finding; no wood related threads, I would like to ask:-

Is Popular popular or should I pass on the offer and stick to my beech?

Cheers,

Dicky Mint.

i havnt tried popular on the lathe but my dad said it will twist and check and is not really suitable for good turning.
but still give some ago i would love to prove him wrong.

I have turned a bit and its not good for turning from little I have done but give it a go any where :)

I haven't tried green poplar but I found dry/part seasoned not nice to turn. The stuff I had was burred so may turn differently. I found it quite soft and hard to get a clean finish on. With quite a bit of sanding I came up with the second piece in https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8088
This and another piece I have both have some really nice figuring in as well as the burr.

Duncan

Philly":ywnxl7uf said:
DM
Try searching the forum for "poplar", there's plenty there. :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Poplar :?: :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ah, erm, I know that's how it's spelt :^o .

It's no wonder there wasn't much in the way of wood references :!: :roll:

Please don't tell any one 8-[ 8-[

DM

I've turned offcuts of kiln dried tulip wood which is North american poplar, quite easy to turn as its fairly soft. Good for painted joinery as it machines easily and sands to a good finish.

The box on the rightis tulip wood.

Jason

Thanks all for your input on Poplar( :oops: ahem....).

I will pick a couple of green lumps and let you know how I get on.

Duncanh, I like the Burr with ebony top , is this the colour the wood darkens to and what finish did you use?

JB, did you colour the tulip wood? The boxes look good BTW, neatly matched lids.

Regards,

Dicky Mint

No colouring, the NA poplar can vary from light straw to an olive green, the box was from the latter but has taken on a deeper brown colour over time which I assume is due to light exposure.

Jason

Dickymint":15qvu45e said:
Philly":15qvu45e said:
DM
Try searching the forum for "poplar", there's plenty there. :wink:
Cheers

Poplar :?: :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ah, erm, I know that's how it's spelt :^o .

It's no wonder there wasn't much in the way of wood references :!: :roll:

Please don't tell any one 8-[ 8-[

DM

Fear not, DM, your secret is safe with me :wink: :lol:
Cheers

jasonB":uf7vsx9r said:
... tulip wood which is North american poplar...

While the North Americans (and far too many UK timber merchants) may call it Poplar, Tulipwood (Liriodendron tulipifera) is not the same stuff as Poplar (Populus sp) which the 'Muricans would call European Aspen. Don't let the merchants con you.

Latest posts

Back