Poorly Elu MOF177E

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAC1

Journeyman
Reaction score
My trusty router is showing signs of a problem. With no load the speed keeps reducing and increasing. It is currently working of a fashion. Obviously related to the electronic speed control?
I see on the web that parts are still available. For lots of reasons I will not be doing diy repair job. Is there a forum preferred repair outlet?

Isaac Lord in High Wycombe have a repair department that will repair ELU kit.
Might be worth a call.

You could try blowing out the switch with compressed air, sometimes it can be a dust ingress issue in the switch or speed controller. If the machine has done a lot of work it could be brushes or bearing, although the machine would be noisy if either of these.

Any dewalt repair centre will be able to repair this router as it basically the same machine as the dewalt 625ek.

It could be the bushes. I have just replaced mine in my De Walt 177e and it cured the problem. A word of warning though if you buy them from Miles tools and machinery make sure you order a pair as they are sold in singles! and are over £5 each! I made the mistake of thinking they were a pair (As you normally would) but they are not?? :roll:

There is a round magnet that gives feedback to the electronics for speed control
its just under the top cap and has a propensity for falling off the shaft ( coming loose)
remove the top cap and check it takes minutes a dab of superglue repairs

Ian

Ok so that's a blow job and a round cap on the shaft! That fixes most things :lol:
Seriously thanks I will have a look. I am not really electrically minded so usually do more harm then good fixing things.

It's mechanical - the doughnut slides off, especially if it's used upside-down a lot (i.e. in a router table), as gravity becomes an accomplice in the crime.

I documented all this with my Trend T11 use the search function of the forum to find the pictures of what you're up against.

The electrics on the T11 are 'potted' meaning there's thick plastic so you can't get at individual components The Elu might be the same, or it might be bare components (it being older 'n'all). The disc with the magnets in it on the shaft, needs to be glued back so that the centre line of the disk (its thickness) comes to roughly the centre of the potted circuit board (again its thickness). That will mean the strongest signal out of the tacho and best reliability in the future. You may see a mark on the shaft of the motor where it was originally, correctly fitted.

If it''s not potted components and there's no visible mark on the shaft, the tacho sensor will be an obvious component on the circuit board - probably a rectangular black plastic block that comes quite close to the circumference of the disk on the shaft. Set the disk so that its centreline is roughly aligned with the middle of the block (height-wise off the circuit board).

There is a bit of leeway with this - the alignment doesn't have to be perfect. Mine didn't start misbehaving until the disk had almost completely come off the end of the shaft.

I would strongly recommend using proper thread locking compound from a motor factors (auto spares shop), and NOT superglue or epoxy resin. This is because you may one day want to replace the main bearings, which are behind that magnet ring, and you need the shaft to be clean to do that.

Proper threadlock fluids are designed to grip tight, but can still be cleaned off the shaft reasonably easily. Neither superglue nor epoxy resin (Araldite) are easy to remove in the same way. I use Loctite 243 "Lock 'n seal", as I've had a tube of it for years, but anything similar will do. Thread locking compounds usually take an hour or so to go off properly, unlike superglue: you can blot off any excess with a bit of kitchen towel, but don't spin up the motor when the stuff is wet or it will be thrown around inside the casing -- you usually only need a very small amount, and it's designed to creep into threads and tiny gaps.

I do hope that's what's wrong as it's a very obvious fault and an easy fix. Don't forget to remove the mains when you open the back cover, as you expose a lot of bare, possibly live, bits.
E.

Back