Polystyrene sheet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkchapman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have several sheets of expanded polystyrene about 6ft by 2ft by 1inch or so, that came as part of the packaging on some stuff we had delivered. Is there anything I can use it for rather than sending it to the dump? Can it be recycled?

I wondered about sticking it to the walls of my workshop by way of insulation but was a bit concerned about it being a fire hazard (though it's probably no more flammable than the wood...)

It's much, much more flammable than the wood and will give off some of the worst kind of combustion products you can imagine. Thick, black, toxic smoke; laden with isocyantes and cyanide for starters.
If you want to use it for insulation, make sure it is well covered with non-combustible linings that do not have an air gap behind them. Otherwise, get rid of it!
Great for a packing material but should never have been considered for a building product IMHO.
AFAIK it is not readily recycleable.
Sorry to sound so down on the stuff, though.
Cheers.

SF

If you're thinking of laying a concrete floor it makes good insulation if laid over the hardcore but under the DP membrane.

Nick
Wouldn't one usually pour a layer of concrete over the hardcore and then lay the polystyrene sheets? with a DPM on top and then another layer of concrete.

Hi Nick,

I'm hope SWIMBO doesn't ever read your post, she has been known to tell me to go and live in the workshop :roll: :roll:

Back