Pleasant viewing...not

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Having watched the latest offering from JO last night, no big surprises really, but not pleasant viewing either. I'm very unclear what can be done about our dietary habits, it's reckoned that over half of us are now classified as obese and that we as a nation are about 4 years behind our cousins across the pond in terms of 'body mass' (so I read somewhere), combine that with the insane drinking habits that we seem to have cultivated over the last few years and I'm not sure where we're heading :(
What always strikes me as truly amazing is to go into Tesco or JS and look at what's in the aisles. One is completely full of crisps, the next is full of biscuits, then there's one full of sweets. What's happening?
Bacon sarni anyone? - Rob

Didn't see the programme, but did hear the survey about children no longer seeing fast food, crisps, sweets etc as treats. I'm only 24 and they were all definitely treats for me.

I think the wierd thing is proper food tastes nicer anyway :shock:

Matt S wrote:
I think the wierd thing is proper food tastes nicer anyway
Matt - couple of years ago when JO was doing the school dinners episode what he found was that all the junk rubbish that the kids were munching on conditioned their taste buds to accept it as 'normal' When they tried decent, well cooked and wholesome food (which many of them may not have had before) it was very unpleasant for them in the beginning, tho' if memory serves, a lot of them saw the light eventually - Rob

Had me baffled as well - think Rob means Jamie Oliver.
Didn't watch it,prefer Rick Stein or Ken Hom,personally :wink:

Andrew

BBC Radio 4 broadcast a documentary about the current obesity obsession on 22 November 2007. I happened to record it because my husband was researching obesity for a university project. If anyone is interested in hearing the broadcast, it's just under half an hour long and weighs in at 16MB. I've uploaded it to Easy-share here.

I didn't see the Jamie Oliver programme but I suspect that he may have made a lot of scary assertions about diet. The Radio 4 programme looked at some of the data that such assertions are based on and cautioned against blind faith in the science. I think it's worth listening to.

Gill

woodbloke":2lgjyvly said:
Having watched the latest offering from JO last night, no big surprises really, but not pleasant viewing either. I'm very unclear what can be done about our dietary habits, it's reckoned that over half of us are now classified as obese and that we as a nation are about 4 years behind our cousins across the pond in terms of 'body mass' (so I read somewhere), combine that with the insane drinking habits that we seem to have cultivated over the last few years and I'm not sure where we're heading :(
What always strikes me as truly amazing is to go into Tesco or JS and look at what's in the aisles. One is completely full of crisps, the next is full of biscuits, then there's one full of sweets. What's happening?
Bacon sarni anyone? - Rob

The bit sawing a body into thin slices with a bandsaw was interesting :shock: 8) . and the 25 stone mans heart & lungs that must have brought it home to a few I bet.

Jamie Oliver is never pleasant viewing.

Cheers Mike

Gill wrote:
I didn't see the Jamie Oliver programme but I suspect that he may have made a lot of scary assertions about diet.
I think the programme deliberately went out of it's way to shock but the information was backed up with some pretty solid medical opinion and evidence, not least of which was the autopsy of the 25 stone bloke who ate himself to death and died of heart failure.

mr wrote:
Jamie Oliver is never pleasant viewing.
JO isn't my favourite telly chef either but I think he's doing a good job on raising awareness of important foodie type issues, 'specially the one regarding food for children in schools a few years ago. Have to agree with Power Tool that I far prefer Rick Stein (no Chalkey :( ) 'specially as the last time I saw him he was driving all around Europe in a long-wheelbase Landy :lol: - Rob

Personally I don't understand the cult of the telly chef. Cooking is not the new rock n roll or whatever, it's cooking. I was about to say "whatever next - celebrity vets?" but then I realized we've already had that. A bit depressing I think.

Cheers Mike

mr":1dk37qwa said:
Personally I don't understand the cult of the telly chef. Cooking is not the new rock n roll or whatever, it's cooking. I was about to say "whatever next - celebrity vets?" but then I realized we've already had that. A bit depressing I think.

Cheers Mike
Mike - as I said to my pal last night at work, why can't woodwork be the new 'rock and roll' with loads of woodworky stuff on the telly...no reply, distinct 'sideways look' :wink: Have to agree with you though, there seem to be a huge number of cooking programmes on the box and it do get a bit monotonous a lot of the time - Rob

I think you all mist the point of the program

The program was not about JO, he was merely the presenter (it could have been any cook)

The program was about Britains eating habits and what it is doing to our body

If it is JO who stands up and points this out to us, then so be it

But do not go into discussions if you like him or not

It is about do you want to live a bit longer and enjoy your life with your children and grand children in great health

woodbloke":ievnhr48 said:
Mike - as I said to my pal last night at work, why can't woodwork be the new 'rock and roll' with loads of woodworky stuff on the telly

I'd settle for just one decent woody prog instead of yet another cookery thing. The thing that amuses me most about the cookery progs is that these people only become successful because of the audience requirement for wish fulfillment. Joe Bloggs watches Ramsey and thinks I can do that, I can be like him and so away he goes to make a mess in his kitchen. What Joe Bloggs fails to realize is that Ramsey and his ilk although he may have started out making gravy has become a business man which is where the real gravy is and which is why he is successful and Joe Bloggs is less so.
ah well rant over. Please though just one woody prog on telly it's not asking too much is it? There's precious little else on.

Cheers Mike

The program had nothing to do with being a TV chef if you didn't see watch the repeat. The science and the medical evidence shown was hard fact from the 25 volunteers who under went full medicals including a whole body MRI.

The evidence showed that most of the group were eating too much fat. too much salt and not enough fibre and fruit and veg.

They were ordinary people and I am sure a lot of the under 50's generation will be eating similar diets of ready meals convenience food and take always.

This program will be the first of many focussing on Britain's poor diet and how its making us obese, have increased risk of bowl cancer increased incidence of diabetes and heart disease.

Russel wrote:
The program had nothing to do with being a TV chef if you didn't see watch the repeat

Mcluma wrote:
I think you all mist the point of the program

The program was not about JO, he was merely the presenter (it could have been any cook)

I certainly didn't miss the point of the programme, but I do agree that any half-decent presenter could have done that and possibly done it better. I'm not sure that it would have had the same sort of clout though. Mike and me were simply going off topic a little bewailing the fact that there are so many cooking programmes on the box and nothing decent about woodworking - Rob

To get back on topic...

One of the reasons I didn't watch (all of) and won't be watching the prog was because of Oliver's involvement. I don't feel the need to see the likes of him preaching about the state of the nations health. I am quite capable of seeing it all around me, in Tescos, at the school gates, down in the caffs on the seafront, particularly when the tourists come in in the summer months to load up on lard and chips. (I wish they wouldnt feed the seagills!). Once again it's a case of anyone who cares about this subject is already aware of it and the ones who need to be made to care won't be watching anyway. They'll be too busy guzzling their coke 'n wallowing in their bucket of Kentucky fried dung€

Cheers Mike

Hands up how many of us were wondering about the model and size of the bandsaw,lol

Back