Planer/Thicknessers and dust extraction..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
First post from a complete newbie so please be gentle.
I'm after some advice regarding choice of a planer/thicknesser - specifically the machine's ability to be extracted properly so as to minimise workshop mess. Are any makes better than others??? Size can be upto 12x7 capacity, 3-phase preferred, budget upto £2K and not averse to secondhand or separates if thought to be more appropriate. Extraction will be either via an Oneida or Clear-Vue cyclone system with a decent diameter pipework (with as short a run as poss) - in other words please assume adequate volume extraction.
Sorry if that's not v.clear!
Brilliant forum with excellent contributors by the way.
Regards,
Mark

Seperates will always be the beter way to go, instead of having o change between the 2 all the time, depending on the space you have available of course.
Regarding the dust extraction, modern machines are going to be much better equipped than an older second hand machine, I would hop onto eBay and look for relatively recent second hand machines if it were me.

Hi Matt and thanks for the reply.
So.... maybe something like the Jet separates or a 2nd hand Scheppach 2600i?
Any more recommendations?
Mark

Not sure I understand the question? Looks like you have already made the right decisions. If you have the room then separates is the way to go and if you can afford the Oneida system then go for it, I have heard all good reviews. Dust extraction from planers and thicknessers is generally good on modern machines. It's much easier to move largish shavings/chippings than very fine dust like you'd get from a sander or even a TS.

If you want a recommendation on which brand to go for, then yet again I whole heartedly hold my Jet Tools banner up in the air. Good solid quality tools.

Hi Wizer,
Thanks for the reply. I suppose the question is whether any one of the new machines out there are any better than the others regarding extraction.
I am tempted to go the separates route and the Jet 60A jointer looks very good indeed.
More specific votes for stand-alone thicknessers are welcome and I imagine that the first choice would be bench-top (Makita/Dewalt etc) -v- floor-standing CI.
Helpful stuff so far - please keep it coming!
Mark

right well I own the Jet PT-260 and the dust extraction is faultless. I imagine the standard is the same on the 60A. If you don't want to go for the Jet thicknesser (I think you should) then the thicknesser that get's rave reviews is the DeWalt DW733. I had one but never got round to using it before I went for the Jet P/T. IIRC the 'lunchbox' thicknessers on the whole are not known for their extraction efficiency. Tho as I said above, the 'dust' from a thicknesser is quite large and it shouldn't be a problem to sweep up what isn't extracted. Someone who owns a 'lunchbox' thicknesser will hopefully be along soon to comment.

Back