Planer numbers v features

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there anywhere that lists plane numbers against what features they have, like whats different between a record 076 and a 77 type etc and why they changed the designs. I never understood these number systems.

I have a list of all Records I compiled, which I can send you if you want. It doesn't relate to Stanleys per se, but apart from a few planes produced by Record either from their own designs or designs acquired from Edward Preston (and possibly one from Woden), they follow the same numbering scheme, adding a zero in front.

Hi :D
For Record planes also I found useful the book: "Planecraft - Hand Planing by Modern Methods".

Ciao,
Giuliano

Very much so, and often available quite reasonably on eBay as so many were sold to schools in the 40s and 50s.
A facsimile of the 1938 (I think) catalogue is available with some notes, which are useful but not exhaustive. Compared to Stanley, Records were not made for a particularly long period and there has not been the same degree of research into types.

Latest posts

Back