Plane Iron Sharpening new L&N Low Angle Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If want it to be repeated you just do it "the same way" every time.
There seems to be constant repetition of various daft mantras about "repeatabilty, consistency" etc and that idiotic expression about the "meeting of two faces" however it goes. How did they manage in the old days before these incantations were introduced?

Jacob":v39hlrbt said:

This sounds an excellent approach.

I assume your plough plane has no fence or depth stop, your table saw is used freehand, and rip sawing is done by eye, without any time wasting using a needless marking gauge. Your mitred frames must be a thing of wonder, with a carefully "judged" 45 degree angle.

Unless you're just being "provocative" or "exagerrating" again.

BugBear

bugbear":3g90nh5y said:
Jacob":3g90nh5y said:

This sounds an excellent approach.

I assume your plough plane has no fence or depth stop, your table saw is used freehand, and rip sawing is done by eye, without any time wasting using a needless marking gauge. Your mitred frames must be a thing of wonder, with a carefully "judged" 45 degree angle.
No - just talking about sharpening. It's not unlike freehand pencil sharpening - about the same level of skill.

David C":6tuloh8s said:
I don't think Jacob would enjoy this book, "How to sharpen pencils" by David Rees.
I've nothing against it - it's a p|ss take on obsessive sharpeners Dave. You obviously haven't checked it out - I don't think you would enjoy it much at all!

Have you got the right kind of point on your pencil? Do you know how to achieve the perfect point for the kind of work you need out of that pencil?

Deep in New York’s Hudson River Valley, craftsman David Rees—the world’s number one #2 pencil sharpener—still practices the age-old art of manual pencil sharpening. In 2010, he began offering his artisanal service to the world, to the jubilation of artists, writers, draftsmen, and standardized test takers.

Now, in a book that is both a manifesto and a fully-illustrated walk-through of the many, many, many ways to sharpen a pencil, he reveals the secrets of his craft. By the time you’re through this book, you will know how to get the perfect point on your pencil without injuring yourself. And if you think it’s a joke, why don’t you poke yourself with your newly sharpened pencil? Or better yet, don’t—because it’ll really hurt.

Jacob":1d1lmgvy said:
David C":1d1lmgvy said:
I don't think Jacob would enjoy this book, "How to sharpen pencils" by David Rees.
I've nothing against it - it's a p|ss take on obsessive sharpeners Dave. You obviously haven't checked it out - I don't think you would enjoy it much at all!

You obviously haven't checked it out yourself -no surprise there. Its certainly not about compulsive sharpeners, at all.

There's an interview by the author here

iNewbie":2g4yiopo said:
Jacob":2g4yiopo said:
David C":2g4yiopo said:

You obviously haven't checked it out yourself -no surprise there. Its certainly not about compulsive sharpeners, at all.

There's an interview by the author here
I think you have missed the point too. No pun intended!

I think you have missed the point too. No pun intended![/quote]

I'm dissapointed that the rather excellent pun was not intended - does that render it pointless?

Cheerio,

Carl

segovia":3ix3ktic said:
Hi

Some months ago I purchased a Low angle Leigh Neilson plane and used it straight out of the box.

As I seem to have developed a habit of making perfectly good blades unusable after sharpening I am looking for some advice on putting a new edge on the blade.

Assume the back is flat and there are no dings in the cutting edge , what approach would you use to bring the blade back to its optimum performance level.

I can't see a secondary bevel, would that be an option on a new blade ?

Regards

John

Apologies Derek, must have been watching too many sharpening vids and had you confused with someone else.

David

Gee John, just buy another plane with a new blade! :lol:

The absolutely simplest method to sharpening is to use a honing guide. Two stand out - a very cheap Eclipse-type, which requires a set up block for the desired angle (Google for LN video), and the Veritas Mk II, which is more expensive and may appear more complicated at first, but is actually the easier to use as it has a built in angle guide.

Wet-and-dry is one way to start, although waterstones will be a lot cheaper in the long run. By the way David, I have not used W&D in 10 years, or more. My preference is hollow grind on Tormek, then freehand on Shapton Pro 1000, Sigma 6000 and 13000.

The absolutely cheapest sharpening system is my "10 cent Sharpening System": http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTe ... ystem.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back