plane instruction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardorban

Reaction score
hello - I am a relative newcomer to woodwork - whilst pretty good at making furniture with power tools - i would like to now get to grips with hand tools - particularly planes - someone gave me a smoothing plane and block plane (Faithful)- but frankly i don't know how to use them or sharpen them - which i have already (brilliantly!) realised is the most important thing to learn - so can anyone recommend a dvd so i can see how its done!

Any advice gratefuly received

PS: I have also realised from the web that I will soon need to get a new mortgage and buy some Lie Nielsen planes.

I'd suggest a DVD from David Charlesworth perhaps? Even if you don't choose to follow his sharpening method (i.e. I bought a Tormek), there is plenty of good information, and tips and knowledge which will benefit you regardless of how you end up doing your sharpening.

Probably available from Axminster, but I haven't checked.

Adam

David C":bmmq5xuz said:
. . . Unfortunately Axminster considered my DVDs "too technical" and have never stocked them. . . David

They do however stock the videos for plane sharpening and hand planing - I just bought them recently and very good they are too. You can't obviously jump from one chapter to another which I assume you can on the DVD but at GBP9 for the two they are a bargain.

Steve

thank you all - i am now definitely confused!! Had a look at Davids videos - they are clearly the phd (meant with reverence) of plane sharpening - might be the next stage for me. Think i'll try the Canadian ones first.

ardorban":318li6lv said:
thank you all - i am now definitely confused!! Had a look at Davids videos - they are clearly the phd (meant with reverence) of plane sharpening

Not at all. His method is extremely straightforward, step by step and quite easy. I think if you try it you will be stunned at the result. Because he is slow and particular, it might look a little tough, but really I would consider it one of the easiest ways to get reliable results when you are inexperienced.

Not that Robs video's aren't good also (I do own both), but I think DC's may have looked more elite then they reallly are (they are very very beginner friendly).

well actually in the end (thats the bit with the actual credit card) - decided to buy British - went for the DC videos - looked at Robs website - decided - "buy from the best" can only be suspect!!

You won't be disappointed - I am a complete beginner too and DC's DVD's were and continue to be a real help (as is this Forum!)

Paul.

Hi Adam ,

I read somewhere that DC has a tormek also :)

happy days
Phil

ardorban":39tedgc1 said:
well actually in the end (thats the bit with the actual credit card) - decided to buy British - went for the DC videos - looked at Robs website - decided - "buy from the best" can only be suspect!!

Rob is a nice guy and as far as I can tell, as honest as they can get, but he is also somewhat prone to hyperbole; a born salesman, really. He is from the east coast of Canada (where I am also from) where the attitude is quite normal (most of the east coast people are quite expansive) but this tends to collide with some other peoples sensibilities, especially those from very conservative Ontario (where I live now) :)

Back