Pine dresser top using newish pine - getting that old look?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all

a friend has asked me to build them a pine dresser top for their kitchen.

I have recently made a built in wardrobe for our bedroom, so have dismantled the old pine varnished one. Very much like this one

4185901266_c7edeb63c9.jpg

I just rubbed a bit of it down and put some antique pine wax on it and it looks alright. theres more than enough wood to make what they are after, but what can I do to give it a bit more of an aged look?

going to be 3 shelves, open backed with a bit of scroll type stuff round the top and possibly some drawers at the bottom. similar in style to this

4185129101_9a4971a76c.jpg

You want a really dark wax, such as Fiddes "Rugger brown". Don't be too careful or prissy with it...leave a few thick bits in the corners and grooves. How about the odd splash of cream emulsion paint, rubbed off and waxed over?

Mike

excellent Ideas. I'll look out for that wax.

I did see "Le Salvager" flailing some newish pine with a handfull of chains, and going at it with a angle grinder too I seem to remember. the chains left a pretty cool finish.

I was thinking some 60 grit on the belt sander roughly done before waxing? none of this silky planned finishing tosh :wink:

Have you tried tea on sanded wood? Brew up a really strong pot of your finest PG tips, apply with a sponge or flood it with a brush, stains it nicely, near to the soft but uneven finish that old pine gets.
Give it a try for colour on a bit of scrap then finish with clear whatever on top.
HTH,
T

I wanted that look for skirting, door stops, facings, etc. to match old stripped bar and batten doors - the soft set honey colour is how I describe it.

I found that a quick rub over the pine with dilute red mahogany stain followed by several coats of Light Oak gave the tone I was looking for. Don't ask me now what dilution - it possibly is in one of my notebooks - something like 1:4 comes to mind.

OW

Doesnt Rico Daniels ( le salvager) give his woodwork a spray of diluted caustic soda before waxing to get that aged look, as I recall he sprays it on letting it "bite" ( his word, not mine) into the wood and when dry applies coloured wax with brush.

great ideas, all.

I've got plenty spare so I'm going to give all of these a whirl.

Caustic soda, yes thats right. I think he used it to raise the grain. But I may be mistaken.

I like the idea of tea staining.... Tea and Wood. My two favourite pass times.

It'll have to be twinnings everyday tea though ;-)

At risk of being classed as a 'bodger' (Apologies to real bodgers)
I find that sometimes, to get the aged look, it's a good plan to work less carefully than normal when finishing.

Difficult to explain, it's more of a feel. Make a decent job, but don't be too fussy. That's as near as I can get to describing what I mean.

HTH

John :)

I just used caustic soda to age some pine doors and it looks perfect - then a little briwax and it was just right
Mixed up a couple of tablespoons in half a cup of water then used a cotton wool pad (gloves!) to apply it - left it for a day or so, then rubbed it down a bit and waxed it and it has that yellowy/browny/greyish coloration
Regards
Gasman

Back