Pillar drill choice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skipdiver":14hir9dl said:
Still not found anything suitable after scouring the usual places, so i am going to buy new as i am at the stage where i need to buy something with work backing up.

That is a shame, I watched an online auction site for a few months before a ouple of weeks ago winning this.

Still can't find anyone who will admit to knowing anything about the make (Hogarth) and it needs an inverter so I can use it on single phase, but for what I paid for it the condition looks excellent having been used in a small engineering workshop until shortly before I bought it. They are out there, but only if you can holding off buying.

Terry.

I need one right now and have waited as long as i can. Will wait 'til the weekend then i will have to pull the trigger.

Well, i still haven't found anything in the used world and am now getting desperate. I've delayed and delayed hoping one will come up but anything remotely suitable is always miles away from me. Seems nobody around these parts sells decent pillar drills.

There must be some new ones that are at least worth considering. Anybody bought a new one that comes up to scratch?

Hi, Axminster released an upgraded lineup today so maybe worth looking at? I have a floorstander from the previous range and it suits me fine as a hobbyist.

Selsdon_PJS":1r33n249 said:
Hi, Axminster released an upgraded lineup today so maybe worth looking at? I have a floorstander from the previous range and it suits me fine as a hobbyist.

I've been waiting for axminster to do a new "trade" rated drill. I was led to believe they were going to, but looks like they've just done new hobby models :-\ Maybe new trade versions are still to come.

Still looking and nothing in the Fobco, Meddings etc department round here. There is a Clarke Metalworker about a mile from me for £100. Model number CDP400B, if anyone has any thoughts on this? I can't put off buying one for much longer. Tried drilling some parts with a chuck in my morticer today, which was very hit and miss. The Axminster ones don't look suitable as the are hobby rated and the Warco ones i was looking at are out of stock. I nearly bought the big Titan one from Screwfix out of frustration but slapped myself in the face and came to my senses.

skipdiver":1i4h1hv8 said:
I nearly bought the big Titan one from Screwfix out of frustration but slapped myself in the face and came to my senses.

Harsh...but sensible!

I had a cheap pillar drill for years and it was just an exercise in frustration. To my eternal shame I bought it because it had laser positioning sights and I thought they'd be great. They weren't, they were carp, and every time those little red cross hairs lit up completely the wrong place I also would slap myself in the face for being such a mug.

If you're up for organising your own courier then have a look on ebay. We're discouraged from linking to live auctions but ive just had a look and there's at least two that day they are happy for you to pick up with a courier. There's a nice looking 240v drill which looks like a meddings...

Thanks Woodmonkey, i am scouring ebay for all possibilities and am waiting on a few people getting back to me.

Back