Pens from mini pine cone blanks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Farrer

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought you might like to see a couple of pens, the Atrax Roller Ball and a Lucida (Aero or Elegant Beauty) made from one of George's red resin and mini pine cone blanks. Comment freely about my workmanship and the pens, the blanks are quite beautiful.

Attachments

• atrax lucida pen.jpg
    atrax lucida pen.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,696
Well Neil, nobody is going to disagree with you about the beauty of the blanks, they are stunning. I really like the form of the Atrax, it looks like something you can get a hold of. Having looked up the Atrax on t'net I've two questions if I may? Will the pen only take the supplied refill or could I substitute another make, Parker for instance? Secondly the web page says the pen is non-postable. Am I right in understanding that the cap will not fit onto the base of the pen when you are writing with it?

I'm very new to this pen making business having completed my first one last weekend; hopefully next weekend I'll have put right the mistakes I made and it might actually work!

John

Neil,

Can't fault the pens / blanks nor the workmanship - they look a couple of crackers.
Have seen those blanks elsewhere & they really do turn out nice.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

JWLeaper":32k3ffy3 said:
Well Neil, nobody is going to disagree with you about the beauty of the blanks, they are stunning. I really like the form of the Atrax, it looks like something you can get a hold of. Having looked up the Atrax on t'net I've two questions if I may? Will the pen only take the supplied refill or could I substitute another make, Parker for instance? Secondly the web page says the pen is non-postable. Am I right in understanding that the cap will not fit onto the base of the pen when you are writing with it?

I'm very new to this pen making business having completed my first one last weekend; hopefully next weekend I'll have put right the mistakes I made and it might actually work!

John

John,

The pen is either a rollerball or a fountain pen. If its a fountain pen its a fountain pen! The roller ball comes supplied, I think with a schmidt (I swop those that dont come with them to a schmidt as I think they are more reliable). I don't know the dimensions of the parker rollerball refill as I've never had the inclination to change them. The schmidt refills are 110.6mm long and have a diameter of 6.3mm. There is a rumour that a rollerball refill is a rollerball refill is a rollerball refill. Not so, dimensionally at least, there are varying dims but I don't know what a parker is. Yes I do - just found out, a parker refill is 7mm diameter and 115mm long, so it wont fit.

PARKER WEBSITE
Parker roller ball refills fit all Parker rollerball pens and contain advanced ink technology for consistent, high-quality writing. Writing length approximately 1000m.
Size (approx.): Length 115mm x diameter 7mm. ISO 14145-1.

SCHMIDT WEBSITE
SRC 888 B

Safety rolling ceramic refill
with plastic tube, stainless steel tip with 1.0 mm ceramic ball.
The safety technology features extended shelf-life characteristics.
It is therefore particularly suitable for the use in pens without cap sealing.
Writing colors black and blue

L 110.6 mm
Ø 6.3 mm

Thanks for that info Neil, Schmidt it is then however I think it'll be a good while until I'm turning (pun, sorry) out pens like that. Once again cracking pieces.

John

look great Neil, can i just ask what you finish turning (not polishing) the pens with, i used a round nose scraper but get thin lines i find difficult to polish out.
TIA

Back