Pen fit issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Just been turning a pen or two after a wee break. Happy with my turning generally, but after assembling the pen, I find that when twisting it open and closed it doesn't stop at the fully open or fully closed point (I hope that makes sense).

The twist mechanism does work without the top half pushed on, so obviously either the brass tube isn't tight enough fitting to the mechanism or the brass tube is moving against the wood (I don't think this is happening).

Anyone come across this before? Is it a problem I can get around? I was wondering if a coat or 3 of lacquer on the mechanism might just get the brass to key to the mechanism but it strikes me as a very temporary measure.

Is there any way to replace the turning mechanism without ruining the pen?

Any help, as ever, gratefully received

Brian.

Hi Brian
Can be several reasons e.g.

1. Poor kit. They do vary in quality and might just be out of tollerance. I assume that the clip end can be pulled off easily!
2. Excess cleaning of the inside of the brass tube, especially if you used a file.
3. Grease or wax on the mechanism / inside of tube.

You could laquer it though it will come off when thee refill is changed, you could also apply a thin layer of CA (keep it off the twisting bit) to the top of the mech or inside of tube but that will wear also. You could rough up the mechanism or tube a little withe file / glasspaper.
What I would do first is try a mechanism from another kit to see if it's a better fit. That will tell you which is at fault before you go changing anything as it's probably the tube.

If it's a slimline type it's easily disassembled though ideally you need a set of cheap transfer punches to do it properly. Just select a thin one to go through the mechanism and tap out the nib then a thicker one the other way to tap out the mechanism. A suitably sized punch easily knocks out the clip end. There are vids on youtube or a tut on pentuners uk forum.
Most other kits are just as easy to take apart

cheers
Bob

I bought a batch of stylus pen kits from the Australian supplier recently, and so far 2 of the mechanisms have misbehaved. In my case I believe it is because I have a stock of brass tubes which I glue in place etc. before opening up the actual kit. I think there may be tiny differences in the bore of the tubes.
It's not worth returning them, for what they cost and due to the cost of return postage.
I'll just have to be more careful in future.

I am just catching up on some of the forums, But as Bob says would have been my answer as well.

Lons":3h58qvli said:
Hi Brian
Can be several reasons e.g.

1. Poor kit. They do vary in quality and might just be out of tollerance. I assume that the clip end can be pulled off easily!
2. Excess cleaning of the inside of the brass tube, especially if you used a file.
3. Grease or wax on the mechanism / inside of tube.

You could laquer it though it will come off when thee refill is changed, you could also apply a thin layer of CA (keep it off the twisting bit) to the top of the mech or inside of tube but that will wear also. You could rough up the mechanism or tube a little withe file / glasspaper.
What I would do first is try a mechanism from another kit to see if it's a better fit. That will tell you which is at fault before you go changing anything as it's probably the tube.

If it's a slimline type it's easily disassembled though ideally you need a set of cheap transfer punches to do it properly. Just select a thin one to go through the mechanism and tap out the nib then a thicker one the other way to tap out the mechanism. A suitably sized punch easily knocks out the clip end. There are vids on youtube or a tut on pentuners uk forum.
Most other kits are just as easy to take apart

cheers
Bob

Thanks. I've had a little time to try another pen top too, and I'm inclined to go with number 1, with a combination of Tazmanian's point - I did the same thing with using "spare" tubes from a bag in preparing a batch of pen blanks at once.

The top from the "faulty" pen grips and turns properly on another pen, and the top from that pen also spins in the "faulty" pen when swapped across. So now, it really is a question of replacing the mechanism because I'm happy enough with the turning on the pens...

I haven't any punches so I might have to think creatively. Wish me luck!

Edit: Found this useful link:
http://www.penmakersguild.com/articles/mistakes.pdf

Author suggest holding the mechanism in a vice, and using a bushing and washer to protect the turning, prying the turning off the mechanism.

If no punches look to see if you have a long enough drill bit of the correct dia used blunt end in but cheap transfer punches off ebay are very useful to have anyway

Hmm.

That was broadly unsuccessful.

A....learning experience.

So, in trying to grip the mechanism, it just fell to pieces eventually. Got a drift into it a little later on, and I thought I was making progress, but it turned out the nib end was solidly connected to the brass tube and it was all coming out as one piece.

I made a new pen.

Brianp":3iflnv2w said:
Hmm.

That was broadly unsuccessful.

A....learning experience.

So, in trying to grip the mechanism, it just fell to pieces eventually. Got a drift into it a little later on, and I thought I was making progress, but it turned out the nib end was solidly connected to the brass tube and it was all coming out as one piece.

I made a new pen.

Sorry to hear about the disaster. I think most pen turners have had at least one failure I know I have. Keep any good bits in a box as they will come in handy.

Thanks - I was a little disappointed because the turning was something I was quite happy with (ebonised and decorated, too). That said, it wasn't a particularly expensive pen kit, so that's something (although it might have contributed to the problem!)

Thanks - I was a little disappointed because the turning was something I was quite happy with (ebonised and decorated, too). That said, it wasn't a particularly expensive pen kit, so that's something (although it might have contributed to the problem!)

Latest posts

Back