Pen commission - what's the going rate?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only made the slimline kits from Axminster and I charge 15€ for a twist pen and 17€ for a click pencil. So far they have bought my MacBook for me!!

My favoured finish has been celulose sanding sealer and melamine lacquer. It gives a nice finish and you can get anywhere from a nice silk to a high gloss finish easily.

Some nice pens there Nick. When I saw the spalted beech one I thought it was one of mine? Nice shape :mrgreen:

Something else worth concidering is a bit of pryo. like a name? These are a couple that I have done for a small artistic association in our village. The writing is the style of their logo.

LeRelaispens2.jpg

Thanks John.
I don't think I'd want to risk pyrography on this occasion having not done it before. I don't think I could get it looking good!

I turned some beech dowel the sam size as the pens and practiced on that first :mrgreen: Just to make sure :roll:

I also had a commision a while back to make a couple of pens with initials on them for a new bride and groom in the States. They were realy well recieved I was told.. Makes them that bit more special.

NikNak":4m2k4rp9 said:
just to say i've tried the Chestunt fp, but to be honest i prefer the Turner Retreat one, see here....

http://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/cgi-bi ... HGCC#aHGCC

no pic unfortunately..... it's the Hut Crystal Coat.

A little more expensive, but i think it gives a much better shine that lasts too.

Nick

I'll second this. My neighbour uses it and it's really good. I use the hut plastic polish, polishes my acrylic pens like glass.

I use the Hut Plastic Polish too..... :D :D :D :D

and the wax 'pen' sticks..... they put a lovely smoooth finish on your work, but i wouldn't go so far as to say they put a super 'gloss' on them. 'Gloss' to me resembles that akin to varnish.... whereas these leave more a satin sheen finish. But still nice.

Nick

Back