Pegboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrightclan

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone please help me. I am an American living in Scotland. I've been living and working here long enough to be aware of many of the Scottish/British/American differences in terminology (both in woodworking and in general) and product availability. One thing I have yet to find, which is a staple of American workshops is cheap hardboard-based pegboard. The only pegboard I can find is expensive metal products for shop displays, etc.

Please help. P.s. Just out of curiosity, what is the distinction between a clamp and a cramp?

Hi wrightclan,

Welcome to the forum. :D

Peg board used to be very common, but has dropped down the charts over the last few years. :?

wrightclan":34zxndq3 said:
P.s. Just out of curiosity, what is the distinction between a clamp and a cramp?
Ah a tricky question, I have no idea of the answer, no doubt one of the better wordsmiths will be along and tell both of us. :roll:

Hi and welcome. It's possible to get it from sheet stock merchants (try "Plywood" in Yellow Pages), but it's not always a stock item as it has fewer commercial/industrial uses these day. It used to be used a lot in shop fitting many years ago, but has been largely superceded by slatwall and mesh grid, etc As Gidon says they may refer to it as perforated hardboard

wrightclan":z2jpu9q1 said:
P.S. Just out of curiosity, what is the distinction between a clamp and a cramp?
Cramp is the English woodworker's term for a clamp. It is slightly old-fashioned but still common parlance amongst time-served and trained carpenters, joiners and cabinetmakers. There are also other terms we use, such as turnscrew (screwdriver), which you might not have heard before.

Scrit

It is certainly listed under Perforated hardboard (LINK) in one of my local stockists so a search on suppliers north of the border might reveal it.

As I say on my wood supplies link (below) page try a Google Local for stockists etc.

Scrit":hn6qht8o said:
wrightclan":hn6qht8o said:
P.S. Just out of curiosity, what is the distinction between a clamp and a cramp?
Cramp is the English woodworker's term for a clamp. It is slightly old-fashioned but still common parlance amongst time-served and trained carpenters, joiners and cabinetmakers. There are also other terms we use, such as turnscrew (screwdriver), which you might not have heard before.

Scrit

In my youth I was always given to understand that if it had a thread for tightening it was a cramp, anything else was a clamp.

Latest posts

Back