Pax 1776 variable pitch saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumberpete

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and pretty much new to the world of working with wood (I did my first years City & Guilds in Carpentry and Joinery in 1983 before opting to become a plumber, but thats another story...) and I'm still trying to absorb as much as possible on the massive amount of information needed just to get started! :shock:

I just bought a couple of 1776 saws (8" 20tpi rip dovetail, a 12" 13tpi cross cut tenon and a 22" 10tpi Pax panel saw) from the Thomas Flinn website and whilst browsing through their other goodies noticed the variable pitch saw that they have for sale. My question is, has anyone any experience of working with variable pitch saws and are there any pros/cons or should I stop worrying about what I could have bought instead? :?

Plumberpete":1e7ari2k said:
should I stop worrying about what I could have bought instead? :?

Yes, stop worrying :) Some manufacturers now offer variable pitch saws because they can be easier to start the cut but what you have bought should be fine.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks for that, Paul! The advice is appreciated! My confidence and abilities are slowly coming together, I'm in the process of making my own workbench (well, stripping down and replacing parts on an old workbench really) at the moment and that's been a case of trial and error but I'm getting there!

Welcome to the forum, Pete. Paul's absolutely correct; don't worry about it and enjoy the saws you have. If you fancy variable pitch, wait 'til they need sharpening and launch yourself down the saw doctoring slope. Chances are you'll get plenty of variable pitch to start with - just not necessarily in the right order... (™ Morecambe and Wise) :wink:

[/quote]Chances are you'll get plenty of variable pitch to start with - just not necessarily in the right order... (™ Morecambe and Wise)
Ha ha! I've had a go at setting and sharpening an old compass saw I was given. Even though the saw is now reasonably sharp and cuts well I must have been doing something wrong as I had a blister the size of a bullfrogs neck on the end of my index finger afterwards! :lol:

Latest posts

Back