Patio Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OM99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

as well as the the table saw project i am also planning to make a decent size patio table.

My local timber yard are selling 200x100x2400 mini sleepers at a very good price of about £16 each. For the table they can rip them to 200x50x2400.
http://www.daviestimber-shop.co.uk/spec ... epers.html

The table would roughly use 6 of them. One of the concern i have is how heavy would it be?

Wood is most likely to be some kind of spruce/pine. they also do some oak one for £24 of the same size (would that be better suited)

I have attached a plan of what i would like to achieve.

the top plank would not be glued together, just thinking of doing a mortise on the end plank and tenon on the others and either use some wood peg or screw through the mortise and tenon.

Attachments

• Patio table_1.jpg
    Patio table_1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 190
"The table would roughly use 6 of them. One of the concern i have is how heavy would it be?'

It'll probably feel like it's screwed to the patio.

Like Custard said that ain't going nowhere on a windy day.

Hence my concern :), just found something stating they are about 48KG each :shock: which would make the table about 300KG which is very heavy indeed.

if they can make the board 30mm thick instead of 50mm, it will still make a heavy table but reduce the number i need to 4 so would be 100kg lighter or there about.

30mm sounds more appropriate unless you particularly want it over-engineered and chunky :)

When they rip the sleepers it is likely that there will be a lot of movement in the pieces, twisting, bowing etc so you may want them to cut over-sized and leave to move as it wants for a while before planing up to finished thickness and taking out the worst of the distortions?

The preservative treatment is unlikely to have penetrated very far into the sleepers so plan on treating all cut surfaces with cuprinol clear wood preservative or similar.

Good luck and take plenty of pics once you start ! :)

Cheers, Paul

Back