Parkside belt sander, mains, any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My general rule for Parkside stuff is to get them for the one-off jobs or to see if a tool is right for the job.
If it breaks through normal use, then I know I use that tool enough to justify getting one of a more reputable brand.

Something that I know I'll use a lot, I'll skip the Parkside - Like a random orbital sander, Router or Circular saw. Parkside, I have an electric planer, Pillar drill, tap n die set, nailgun and a couple of others. I also have a Parkside hobby drill, but found a cordless Dremel on Gumtree for cheap. Oh and a metric tonne of drillbits, zipties and selection boxes of Jubilee clips, seals, washers etc.

My belt sander is a Mac Allister, but I lent it to a friend a while back and honestly, haven't needed it - I tend to make smaller stuff, and the largest doesn't take much longer with the orbital. Plus, the sandpaper changes are quicker!

I had one a few years ago …..after some vigorous use the belt no longer remained in tension so I got a full refund. I replaced it with a c 1970‘s battleship built Wolf sander - cost £20 more off eBay but it’s built like a tank and has tackled several cookie slab and other slab sandings etc.

there is a Makita version on eBay at the mo

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19585493...P1t1LtiSuK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
£85 but will outlast and outperform any one from Lidl.

To be fair, belt sanders pop up fairly commonly on Gumtree

I had one a few years ago …..after some vigorous use the belt no longer remained in tension so I got a full refund. I replaced it with a c 1970‘s battleship built Wolf sander - cost £20 more off eBay but it’s built like a tank and has tackled several cookie slab and other slab sandings etc.

there is a Makita version on eBay at the mo

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19585493...P1t1LtiSuK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
£85 but will outlast and outperform any one from Lidl.
Interesting to still see the makita 9401 still holding its own- mine is 25 years old and had a new dust bag and the flappy thing replaced, needs a new mains cable next but apart from that it’s pretty bulletproof.

Back