Panel Saw haulage Cost, Firm?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meccarroll

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I have just made a purchase of a Panel saw on ebay, trouble is it's 270 miles away and I need to either rent a suitable trailer or find a haulage firm to transport it for me.

Does anyone know a firm that does this sort of haulage. I've tried Uship 3 times but their system keeps altering the saw's dimensions to about three times it's actual size so I won't be able to obtain any reliable quotes using their system.

Saw is located in Southport and I'm in Lowestoft.

Any help is appreciated.

Mark

What size is it? If its the size of a pallet 1200mm by 1000mm you can use a pallet courier, there ok if it overhangs a bit but if its a lot bigger you can get a double pallet rate. For a single pallet you will pay around £70. Of coarse that assumes you can get the seller to palletise it.
I use http://www.nationalpallets.co.uk/

A Panal saw sounds big ??. sending by pallet is risky and you have to rely on the ebay seller packing and fixing it properly, sometimes I have offered extra money to the seller to pack properly, well worth it to avoid damage.
IMO best way is to hire a luton truck with tail lift and do it your self, its easy and will take you a day to do and will only cost alittle more. Good luck.

+1for luton with tail lift, though the drive Lowestoft to Lancashire is a right PITA. Just one caveat - I'd booked one to move a pellet boiler, drove the 25 miles into Ab'dn, filled out all the paperwork and only then did the guy notice I was over 65 (or it may even have been 60) and "we don't hire vans to old people" (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) .

What size is it?

If it is a 3.2m bed one you will need at least 3 pallet spaces, if you are thinking of the Luton van route you will need to take the beam off, we moved our 2.4m one in a Luton and that was tricky on a tail lift with the beam on it.

I would contact a machinery mover if it is a big one as they will have the right kit to move it without damage.

Update.

Had a look on eBay, good find , that will go on a tail lift I would go and hire a Luton

Find a haulage company with a flat bed or trailer. Our Altendorf was on back of a low flat bed and needed to be lifted off with a forklift

Thank you for the replies Chaps.

Saw is now collected. I used a trailer, winch and wheeled trolly. Was quite heavy but the lifting and move went ok. I did not want the saw damaged so did this one myself on this occasion but may use a pallet company next time as I did check one out and it came in at no more than what it cost me for diesel :cry:

I think I'll look into Pallet company reviews for next time. Anyway many thanks for the replies, they have all been much appreciated.

Mark

tomatwark":8qlfll3b said:
Had a look on eBay, good find , that will go on a tail lift I would go and hire a Luton

Yes it was a good find and I was quite pleased because I'd been looking for a while. When I collected the saw the seller told me that when the auction had ended another buyer tried to gazump me by offering more than the final bid but lucky for me the seller refused the offer.

Saw is now collected and in position so many thanks for your help :D

Mark

Back