panasonic hard drive freeview recorder setup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Con Owen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I went over to my daughters to set up her hard drive recorder, followed the instructions, but is not tuning in to the channels. Here is what I did. Disconnected her VHS, Set top box etc so was just left with her TV, which is a Sony widescreen approx 15 months old. Connected scart to scart from recorder to TV, then co-axial connection from aerial (outdoor- no problems with existing set top box) to recorder and recorder to TV. Switched on TV to AV channel (same as the original channel used for the VHS recorder). The recorder in standby mode kept flashing with please wait, then switched it on and all it said in the menu on the hard drive recorder was DVD1. It did nothing else. I feel I am doing something wrong. Help!
Cheers Con

I'm a bit confused.

Is it the menu on the LED display on the recorder that says DVD1? Or on the TV? If it's on the TV then does it disappear if you switch off the recorder. If yes then that says that the TV is pointing at the recorder and that there is a signal between the two.

Assuming that's all Ok then try switching the recorder off, leave for a few minutes, then switch on and take it out of standby. Most recorders will then go into their auto-tuning mode.

hard to say further without knowing what model you have but taking a look at the pana website and the various manuals then that's what's supposed to happen. You get a display on the TV showing it's progress.

When you say the TV is Ok with a set-top box...do you mean a freeview box? if so then still no guarantee that the signal is satis. freeview receivers can be very finicky. You may need a new aerial and cable

You could also try the avforums website..suggest search your model number to see what comes to light.

Now if you;d bought a Humax then I could have helped lots more :wink:

My Sagem freeview box does not work on AV1 , which is the channel the VR works on, only on AV2. Does this model have a built in DVD disk slot? When I switch the box on I get "Init" and then the channel number so maybe its looking at the DVD slot.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Problem solved. What happened my daughter switched on the recorder accidentally before the remaining lead (the aerial) was attached. So the auto setup was activated and it was looking for channels that were not there. Apparently once this occurs you have to do it manually from the menu. As I had brought the recorder back to ours I carried out this procedure on our TV, worked perfectly. Sorry if I wasted your time guys but only found this out today after speaking to a Panasonic engineer.
Cheers
Con

Con

No problem :D Glad it's sorted. To be honest, as a once keen hifi/techie/av techhead who avidly read everything he could...I'm starting to glaze over with all this stuff. HDMI/DVD/AV1/DVD/Digital input/Digital output/composite/component/SCART/DRM/BluRay/HD-DVD/DVD-RAM/ zz.z.z.z.z.z.z.z.zzzzzzzz

Back