Painting Concrete

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcndave

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for any experience with painting concrete walls, floors and ceilings.

So far I read that after proper cleaning, it's required to seal, prime, paint, seal again. is that right?

is it different for floors / walls and what's a good brand / place to buy?

Where can I get additives to create a non-slip floor?

All internal I presume then?

I'm not familiar with what Italy has to offer in terms of brands so can't help on that score but your method looks OK. You should hpwever be able to buy induustrial floor paints that already have a non-slip coating in it, or just mix fine sand (play pit or aquarium sand is ideal) with normal smooth floor paint.

MMUK":gpxslcv7 said:
All internal I presume then?

I'm not familiar with what Italy has to offer in terms of brands so can't help on that score but your method looks OK. You should hpwever be able to buy induustrial floor paints that already have a non-slip coating in it, or just mix fine sand (play pit or aquarium sand is ideal) with normal smooth floor paint.

I have no idea either, and don't speak italian, i would like to know what's good and tried / tested in UK so i can compare prices, and list of ingredients...

Hi

Whatever you choose - get the floor done as soon as you can and certainly before it gets dirty / oily.

Regards Mick

Have a look for epoxy floor paint. It is an industrial version of floor paint and should last you a very long time as it is used by garages etc on their floors. It might cost a bit more, but will save you doing it again when the normal one wears through/ gets damaged etc.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=johns ... 0&bih=1078

Other brands are available :)

Spindle":5ktsx6li said:
Hi

Whatever you choose - get the floor done as soon as you can and certainly before it gets dirty / oily.

When the floor is done (at the moment there is 40cm concrete, however it's waiting for 15cm insulation and then another 10-15 concrete, i will want to do as quickly as possible so i can get in there and start making stuff for the house!

I've read new concrete should be left a few weeks before painting, and the floors are the last things to go in, so it's going to be a very impatient wait indeed...

carlb40":2zg3byud said:
Have a look for epoxy floor paint. It is an industrial version of floor paint and should last you a very long time as it is used by garages etc on their floors. It might cost a bit more, but will save you doing it again when the normal one wears through/ gets damaged etc.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=johns ... 0&bih=1078

Other brands are available :)

Thanks - from what I can read, that does not require one to apply sealer and primer first, so might actually work out cheaper!

hi most floor paints take a couple of coats to seal don't be tempted to paint it on to thick as it will take ages to dry two thin coats better than one thick coat
cheers
pip

Thanks. I was looking at some that stated sealer, primer,a few coats paint, then another sealer. So even with a couple of coats this would/could be cheaper.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I used something like this:http://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-heavy-duty-floor-paint-frigate-grey-2-5ltr/86567 and was very pleased with the results.

Before applying it, I did a coat of levelling compound, followed by a coat or two of watered-down PVA.

You might well be able to get away without the PVA with the right type of paint but it was easy and cheap to do so I thought: why not?

In terms of making it non-slip, you could try just adding some sand (that's what they do to paint on climbing walls to make them grippy) but I guess this would also make them harder to sweep and clean.

Thanks for all the tips so far.

I went to an industrial type place today that also does private sales. After working out some of the technical terms in 3 languages between us, I got some paint for walls, which has a primer with gritty texture to add some structure, and then an overcoat. Was reasonably priced.

The floor we talked about 2 part epoxy with a finish on top. This came to about £800 for 60sqm so rather expensive. I could probably floor the entire place with OSB for a lot less...

I am still in 2 minds about painting the ceiling a dark colour to give the room some cosiness...

mind_the_goat":7zq6zcp9 said:
If this is a workshop you'd be better with light coloured ceilings to reflect the light.

Yes, from a light point of view, but then I have a fairly large space that is all bright, and i plan to have 4 groups of LED tubes on ceiling + lighting at each workstation, eg I have a 500w halogen over my TS/TP and a 10w LED floodlight over my Lathe (ain't LED great!).

I was thinking it might feel a bit utilitarian, like working in a hospital or school...

Hi

I'd go for a white ceiling and reduce the intensity of the light sources. My feeling is that with no light diffusion / reflection effect from the ceiling there will be more and darker shadows, (guaranteed to be just where you don't want them).

Regards Mick

Yes, what I often do now is turn off most of the big halogen floods and just leave a couple pointed at ceiling where I am working. This creates a nice cosy effect, however the new room will be much bigger. Perhaps I put on white primer and see how I feel, then I can cover with another colour as main coat.

I'd not really thought of or seen many dark ceilings, however i saw one in a house that looked fantastic, it really changed the room so much.

So far however the feedback on workshops is not so positive :)

Hi

In my workshop I've a white ceiling and light yellow walls - I think it's better to darken the walls rather than the ceiling.

Regards Mick

I have found a way to seal concrete easily. Use either Thompsons waterproofer neat or unibond PVA diluted 4:1 and spray it using a paraffin gun. Both these products are available from Screwfix. Why is that important? because Screwfix ship carriage free for orders over £100 to the EEC.

Hope this helps.

wcndave":15cv87bt said:
I got some paint for walls, which has a primer with gritty texture to add some structure, and then an overcoat. Was reasonably priced.

Now that my roof is sorted I am intending to paint the bare block walls.

I just want to colour them, I don't want to "gloss" them as it might cause, the dreaded condensation.

How has your paint turned out.?

Latest posts

Back