Outdoor materials question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-O

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning all

I've got a question regarding timber for a couple of outdoor projects I have planned.

First off, I'm going to make a bird table but would it be ok to use untreated 'carcassing' for the post and legs etc and untreated ship lap boards for the roof and the stain/paint them. I cant seem to find anywhere that sells the treated PSE carcassing in the sizes I would need.

Pretty much the same idea regarding treated/untreated timber for a rabbit hutch I have planned but I would be using felt for the roof on that...

A lot of bird tables and rabbit hutches I've looked at in garden centres and pets shops I've been to, for ideas, seem to be a reddish brown colour, is this just actual wood colour? if so what could it be? or will they be stained? I appreciate its hard to say without actually seeing them...

Thanks

Stephen

Yes it's perfectly ok. It won't last for ever, but a bird table is not the sort of project you would expect to last long. A bit of paint / fence / shed treatment will help it last a few more years.

On the other hand if you are planning something more elaborate - an octagonal pyramid with gothic turrets and flying buttresses, for example - it would be worth while matching the extra time and effort with a naturally durable timber such as oak, chestnut, larch or cedar.

Could you get some Larch from a local fencing supplier for the bird table? Maybe some marine ply for the platform.
The Rabbit hutch might need something else though, Fencing Larch is usually treated

If you are building a rabbit hutch, PLEASE make sure it is at least 6'x2'x2' as per RWAF guidelines.

www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

On the finishing side, Cuprinol Garden Shades are certified animal safe. However, I would leave the insides untreated. When I build hutches, I avoid using anything like chipboard, hardboard or MDF and I fit linoleum on the floor with a 2" plastic skirting around the back and sides (bedded onto a clear silicone so no surface sealant is visible). The rabbits very rarely like to chew uPVC trims.

If you need any ideas or advice on hutches, please drop me a PM - I've build hundreds of them :mrgreen:

Thank you soo much for the replies, it is much appreciated.

Sorry to sound daft but is larch just general fencing boards/rails/posts etc? I've just not heard or larch before...

I had already thought about the sizes for the rabbits but thanks for the link and advice mate.

Thanks

Stephen

Your penance for not recognising a Monty Python reference is to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest... with... a herring.

Ha ha :D

Anyway....... :roll: :D Larch, is that just fence rail/post?

Also, does anyone have any ideas about the timber that many of the pet shop/garden centre hutches are made of?...

Stephen

Latest posts

Back