Our dogs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losos

Established Member
Reaction score
First, this is Baruska, she will be nine in March she has to have a special diet for her digestion and two tablets a day one for her heart and one for her lungs and to help her breathing, in addition to which she suffers terribly from nerves especially if there's some threat she can't see like thunder or fireworks. I am posting this because we don't know how long she will be with us :cry:
xg067a.jpg

And this is Rianna, a little younger than Bara and thankfully healthy and as strong as an Ox :)

66w3nr.jpg

Thanks for looking

Nice dogs indeed; dogs do add to our enjoyment of life.

Though I have to disagree with your signature line:
Dogsare our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace. (Milan Kundera the French author)
We have two recued collie-crosses. They do not have an evil bone in their bodies (evil is a human invention, after all) but each watches the other's treatment jealously to ensure fair treatment. They easily get bored (discontent), and sitting on a sunny hillside may be pleasant, but one dog will be pestering to have a stick thrown, and the other will be loudly terrorising the wildlife (so not quite Eden then). I do not think Milan Kudera had encountered collies.....

Famously used as marine rescue dogs as there so big and strong!

I'm stuck with one daft Labrador called amber, but I wouldn't swap her for the world!!!

Adidat

I thought Newfoundlands as well - HUGE beasties with a lovely nature!

I'm stuck with one daft Labrador called amber, but I wouldn't swap her for the world!!!

I guess she's a goldie then.

We lost our beloved black lab more than 7 years ago and still miss her. My wife can still be reduced to tears when she thinks about it and it isn't fair for us to get another at the minute whilst working.

She was incredibly soft, never heard a growl, always had a guilty look and was really just a stomach on 4 legs. Great to have them and they bring such loyalty and pleasure but it's difficult to watch them die in such a relatively short time.

Bob

Well, here's our motley crew:-

Firstly, Bonny (our daughter's dog) who is a Staffie/Collie cross and was rescued from a dog's home where she spent the first 6 years of her life as she had severe behaviour problems after being regularly beaten as a pup. We have had her now for about 6 years and she is a real character. A sedate old lady who is rather deaf (except when being called for food, of course) and a bit arthritic.

Bonny.jpg

Next there is Tilly, a lurcher. I'm afraid she was near the back of the queue when brains were handed out (I wouldn't say that she was two sandwiches short of a picnic, but .... you know). She is delightfully calm, but will insist on nudging elbows to get attention - never have a mug of tea near your laptop when Tilly is around!

Tilly.jpg

Then there is Scamp, our 6 year old Jack Russell. She now only goes out on the lead as we are fed up with driving miles to bring her home. I walk her between 1 and 3 miles every day, come rain or shine, and we let her out occasionally to go ratting in the barns if we get any rodent issues. I have yet to see a rat that she cannot dispatch within seconds!

Scamp.jpg

Finally, Scamp's two puppies, Hattie (on the left) and Chet. We kept these from the five that she had in April last year, so they are about 18 months old now. Very naughty and not very obedient - typical Jack Russells!!

HattieandChet.jpg

Hope you like them. :D :D

Thanks guys, yes they are Newfoundlands, sometimes just called 'Newfies' Bara is about 50Kgs. and Rianna about 49 Kgs. so they are big :lol: 'tho the males are bigger :roll:

DrPhill":1eusu53v said:
I do not think Milan Kudera had encountered collies.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes that did make me laugh and you are so right, I was thinking about changing my signature to quote part of Byron's epithat to his beloved Newfie called Boatswain:-

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices

Kind of sums up my feelings about all dogs.

They are gorgeous!!!

I used to have pedigree dogs years back before I went abroad...but when I got back I swore I would always have a bitser from now on as they tend to be less susceptible to illness and usually have a longer life.

It breaks my heart each time one of my best friends passes onto the Rainbow Bridge but I wouldn't be without one...

Jake was 19 years old when he passed through the gate last year...

jake-2.jpg

I lasted two weeks of abject sorrow until I could stand it no more and got the only one nobody wanted at the rescue centre where we got Jake all those years ago...ALFIE...

DSC_0231.JPG

He shook with fear and hugged my on a chair for 30 hours straight before he calmed down....

Now he's a complete LOOOOOONEY!!!

The trouble is...I'm his DAD now!

DSCN0374.JPG

I suppose I can thank my lucky stars he ain't a Newfie!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

Mike / Phill / Jim - I'm hugely supportive of people who take on rescue dogs, Bara was not a rescue but she was rejected by her first owner only about two months after they had her, and it was just a coincidence that the breeder rang them and found out they were thinking of having her PTS :evil:

Bob - we had a black Lab once as well, still probably my first choice and it was more than 7 years before we got the Newfies (SWMBO's choice) like you it was down to our jobs, but there will come a time when you will be able to have another and it will be worth the waiting :)

Losos":1hchizbv said:
Bob - we had a black Lab once as well, still probably my first choice and it was more than 7 years before we got the Newfies (SWMBO's choice) like you it was down to our jobs, but there will come a time when you will be able to have another and it will be worth the waiting :)

My wife is due to retire in about 18 months time and we're seriously thinking about an extended holiday of a few months in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, but after that it's highly likely we'll get another Lab.

Bob

Here's a photo of my little Biscuit that I just took. He's 17 days old.

Biscuitaged17days.jpg

When he grows up, he wants to be a long coated chihuahua, just like his mum and dad.

Losos":qw0bkn6d said:
...... part of Byron's epithat to his beloved Newfie called Boatswain:-

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices

Nice quote, thanks for that. While I will not pretend our two are faultless, I recognise a lot of the things said in that quote.

Our older dog (Collie x Pointer, about 7 now) has some quality that attracts less confident dogs. They seem to idolise her, while she appears indifferent once she has has proved her dominance. On more than one occasion, though she has rushed to the protection of one such devotee, defending the fearful against a much larger dog. Her own code of conduct, I guess. She came to us from someone who kept her in a dog crate - her world was small. Now on a walk she will happily range several hundred yards away in the woods tormenting squirrels and the like, before returning to check on us (she knows both how long we are comfortable with not seeing her, and exactly where we should have got to at our normal walking speed).

Our younger dog (Collie x Kelpie, about 6 but still a puppy) came to us scared of humans, hating fuss (or any contact) starving hungry (even eating bracket fungus from trees) and unresponsive to voice. She will now walk (mostly) calmly though town, is fussy over her food, and treats new humans as sources of fuss, or as trainee stick throwers.

There are plenty of negatives - over defensive barking, a determination to decide theeir own response to a situation rather than slavish obedience, a demand for routine (Bark - it it time to get up. Bark we normally go for a walk now. Whine - we always have a treat when you sit to watch a DVD, Haul - no this is the way to the pet shop). But they add plenty to our lives.

Just thought that I would share that while I had a moment.

Here is my little workshop hound, I have had to ban her when sanding as she will sit right under the source of dust and will not keep her dust mask and Doggles on!

Islaysmall.jpg

DrPhill":ezf59vh7 said:
On more than one occasion, though she has rushed to the protection of one such devotee, defending the fearful against a much larger dog. Her own code of conduct, I guess.

Oh yes Phill, dogs have a 'code of conduct' and it's an honourable one, one can not always say that about humans :( at the end of the day I feel that they give us so much and ask so little in return.

Gill / Tinbasher - thanks for posting those pics, I love looking at dogs of any description.

Hi all another dog lover here and I had to say goodnight to my very faithful gold lab on Monday.Boy does it hurt I can hardly function but just remembering the great times we had with him for nearly 15 years .Gone but never forgotten.

RIP: Nico

gwr":33dhszry said:
Hi all another dog lover here and I had to say goodnight to my very faithful gold lab on Monday.Boy does it hurt I can hardly function but just remembering the great times we had with him for nearly 15 years .Gone but never forgotten.

RIP: Nico

My heartfelt sympathy :( I vividly remember every detail when I took our to the vet on her last day and it was one of the worst things I've experienced.

Where in Northumberland are you gwr?

Bob

Hi Lons I'm up in sunny Berwick where are you? Yeah it's 1 of the hardest things I've had to do.

Latest posts

Back