Osborne EB3 any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

When I first tried it out, the answer might well have been no.

upon inspection, one of the screws had been left loose and tightening this removed the huge inaccuracies

So, i took few test cuts and found that mitres were not too good. Once I noticed a lack of repeatability, I realised the the issue was that wood was sliding a little against the mitre fence as the blade cut into it - I guess the teeth impacting the wood caused vibration and dragged the wood slightly.

So, after a quick chat with mr Osborne (Philly), I stuck the supplied sand paper strip to the fence and voila! perfection!!

Mitre cuts spot on - no need for the shooting board now and the SCMS is redundant :wink: This is a superb piece of kit and I would rate it higher than the Incra mitre's I have seen (and I like Incra!)

Anyone interested in an SIP sliding compound mitre saw with 300mm cut and laser for alignment, pm me with offers. Extremely good condition and about 2 years old

Here are a couple of cuts with the osborne

Osborne_1.jpg

Osborne_2.jpg

now, spot the gap

Osborne_3.jpg

So impressed with the sandpaper on the fence that did the same for the router table

Osborne_5.jpg

Excellent! Glad you like it, the EB is a great piece of kit.
Just watch you don't nip the end off the fence when cutting mitres....... :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Nice one Tony :twisted: :twisted:

Is that a metric measure i see too??

Tony

Are you sure its the right time to get shot of the SCMS? I also use the EB3 but have found for long lengths of wood I still need to use the SCMS, you know what its like as soon as you pass it on you'll rrealise you need it.
Methinks Philly went down that route.

Interesting Point Waka

To be honest, there isn't room for the SCMS in the workshop any more and it is now lying on its side in the shed.

As I can't decide whether to keep it or not, I thought I'd mention it here and if it goes buy a very small mitre saw or even make a mitre box for the old back-saw. If no pms, then I'll keep it

Hello Tony.
Glad you like it.It is a great bit of kit.
As Philly says be careful not to cut the tip.
Just caught mine not long after having it.Lesson learned :oops:
Paul.J.

tony, that sounds like a nice tool. i wonder if it will fit my kity 419. cheers col.

greggy":2t3xvqcq said:
tony, that sounds like a nice tool. i wonder if it will fit my kity 419. cheers col.

Unfortunately no - I sold my 419 to buy the new Axminster saw and part of the reason was the non-standard mitre slot width

A big part of the reason the EB3 is so good is that the mitre bar is machined to very high tolerances and has some adjustment too (not needed as it was a perfect fit in the slot)

The mitre bar is 3/4", too wide for 419 slot

Latest posts

Back