Original, wooden low angle plane described

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having done some trig, I have concluded that for serious end grain work a mitre trimmer (as used by picture framers and pattern makers) is massively superior to any system involving a plane.

A trimmer blade, bedded at 0°, bevel up, single bevel at 25° gives an EP of 17°.

So perhaps the reason for the comparitive rarity of dedicated mitre trimming fixtures and planes is the excellence of dedicated trimmers.

BugBear

bugbear":2fuq3ddl said:
Having done some trig, I have concluded that for serious end grain work a mitre trimmer (as used by picture framers and pattern makers) is massively superior to any system involving a plane.

A trimmer blade, bedded at 0°, bevel up, single bevel at 25° gives an EP of 17°.

So perhaps the reason for the comparitive rarity of dedicated mitre trimming fixtures and planes is the excellence of dedicated trimmers.

BugBear
You mean mitre guillotine? Yes they are brilliant. It's not the trigonometry (you could get the same with a chisel) it's the massive construction and firm holding (and a sharp blade of course).
I've used one (borrowed) for architraves on one biggish job but usually tend to do them in a sloppy freehand sort of way. :roll:

Jacob":oom7sita said:
bugbear":oom7sita said:

BugBear
You mean mitre guillotine? Yes they are brilliant.

Well, Axminster call it a mitre trimmer, and Lion in the USA call it a mitre trimmer, Melhush catalogue No 20 call them Mitre Trimmers.

I got bored checking after that.

BugBear

Back