Ordering Framing Timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so i'm getting closer to the workshop build and I want to get some timber quotes. What is the best way to order? Should I just order it in linear metres? or order the lengths that I need? Or indeed try to make it fit into 'standard' lengths?

Here is what I need:

timber.jpg

Also I need to get a quote for shiplap cladding, how is this calculated?

Any help much apprecieated.

From a quick glance it looks like 2.4m lengths will do everything - e.g. that's as close as you'll get to 2.3m lengths. A 1.8m length and a 500mm length will come out of a 2.4m length. A 2.4m length will give you 5 or 6 400mm lengths depending on how accurate the timber yard has been and how fussy you are about mm. Etc.

Hi Wizer,
as far as I have experienced both 4x2 and shiplap are priced in /M (usually based on /100M price). Specify total linear metres required and get the most convenient lengths for your purposes. Try to resist having the supplier cut to length for you where possible, if they cut you a 2.4M from a 3.2M they'll probably still want to charge you for the 3.2 (rambling now - shuttup Mark) You'll need to calculate the coverage and therefore the linear metres of the shiplap yourself I expect. Don't forget the wastage as the lenghts available are unlikely to be bang on for your stud spacing.
Can I ask where you're getting it from? Since you're in my area, do you know a company called Forestrall near the bluewater turnoff? I've used them a number of times and their prices can be surprisingly keen - especially if you turn up with the folding. Good delivery service as well.

Good luck with the build, baited breath and all that.
Mark

One last thing, are you putting a membrane of some sort behind the shiplap? At my daughters school we have a large shed for the PTA that is clad with shiplap, and we have a serious problem with weather ingress because of the gaps now it is a few years old.

thanks Mark. I will be getting a quote from Alsford but I doubt i'll use them as I had more than a few bad experiences with them. I have a pal who owns a wood yard over in Walthamstow who might be able to get me a good deal, but I will certainly give forestrall a call and see what they can do for me.

Yes I have just realised that I need a membrane between the cladding and the joists\insulation. Where would I get this from? Is it the same as the stuff i'll be using between the base and the floor?

2.4m lengths seems like a good plan to me.

I'm going to get a quote for tanalised\preasure treated as well as normal sawn. I don't mind a bit extra for the peace of mind.

Fingers crossed and weather permitting this will start on Monday. I'm also praying that my back holds out, I don't want to have to put this off until next spring/summer! That'd drive me nuts!

Wizer, I bought ALL my framing timber in 2.4m as that was exactly the height of my walls, and your's are not far of it, so I would suggest going for that, and cutting of the small excess.

I worked out exactly how many 2.4m lengths I needed, and I orderd a few 3m lengths for the longer sides, totalled up all the meterage, and did it that way, most timber yards should be happy to work out the best deal for you based on what lengths you want.

With regards the shiplap, I ordered 150mm and that came in the standard lengths of 3.9, 4.8 and 5.1m lengths, and for a comparison, that was £1.20 per meter - again I ordered the total meterage that I needed by divided up into what lengths were most suitable, which happened for me to be 17 of the 3.9 and 18 of the 5.1

Hope that helps a little.

P.S It's always better to specify up front the total meterage and negotiate a discount based on that - I saved nearly £100 on my shiplap due to careful requests and due to the fact that I had already purchased a lot of timber with them.

Wizer, my advice would be to avoid Alsford unless you fancy taking out a new mortgage. I only go there in dire emergencies these days. I tend to use Travis Perkins (I like the Charlton branch, but Lee is also good and freindly Sidcups your nearest I think) for benchmark prices. But I always ring at least 2 branches for prices to see who's feeling most generous with the discount that day, then quote that price to your nearest branch if I'm collecting.
That place in Walthamstow, not T&T Timber by any chance? I,ve used them before as well and always found them very accomodating.

For the membrane in the walls I'd probably use a standard roofing membrane - don't neglect the overlap when calculating coverage.

On timber lengths, I used 2.4 as an example only. I don't think I've ever been able to buy anything that short from a timber merchant without having one cut. Most 4x2 is 3.2/3.3 and up, the shiplap will probably be in 4.8m or so. I usually start by asking what lengths it comes in and work "backwards" from there to calculate how many of them I'll need, works for me.

However, don't forget about the man who asked his neighbour, who's house was identical, how many rolls of wallpaper he bought for his living room. "10" came the answer. On completion the man went to his neighbour to complain he had 3 rolls leftover. "That's a coincidence", said the neighbour, "so did I".

Cheers
Mark

yes that's right T&T, I don't know much about their business but the son of the owner is a close friends fiance. I'm going to give him a call later.

I'm incredibly tight :wink: so I will be calling round all the wood yards for the best deal. Sidcup TP is nearest but Charlton is only down the road, it's their diesel not mine ;)

PS Have I worked this out right? I need 240m of 2x4 ?

Haven't looked a t your plans, but from your cutting list above i make it 183.2M plus wastage (about 10/15%) plus the 4x4.

Have you got a drawing of the frame? It sounds like a lot of wood.

47x100 SAWN & GREEN TAN 3.6/4.8M LENGTHS £1.00/LM
100X100 BROWN TREATED POST £6.12 EACH 3M LENGTH
25X150 SHIPLAP NOT TREATED £1.28/LM RANDOM LENGTHS
1000G DPM POLYTHENE 100M2 ROLL £22.00
12mm 8X4 WBP PLY £14.00 EACH
12mm 8X4 SHEATHING PLY £9.50 EACH
18mm 8X4 WBP £19.94 EACH
18mm 8X4 SHEATHING PLY £13.25 EACH

Does this seem reasonable?

seems about right, the 4x2 is particularly well priced especially for 'tan. Those are ex VAT prices of course?
You're certainly going the whole hog using tanalised for all the framework considering it's a "closed" structure, still at that price there's no harm in belt and braces. :) Just watch your back unloading it, some of that treated timber is heavy.
Do they not do the shiplap in treated form then? Logic (mine at least :? ) would seem to dictate that would be the one area that would benefit most from pre-treatment.

Mark

good point re the shiplap, i'll see if i can source treated

WiZer

Those prices seem pretty good even when you add vat. In S Wales a sheet of decent brazilian 12mm ply is over 20 quid, unless you go to B&Q.

Do not worry about the shiplap not being treated as when it is machined there seems to be like an oil residue possibly from lubricating the tooling but water runs off it. I would expect to stain it or treat it anyway. Are you sure about the 25mm as 19mm really 15 after machining is the best I have come across. All t&g and shiplap dimensions are before machining.

Rather than a membrane I tend to use 12mm ply when framing then shiplap on the outside. The ply gives rigidity and prevents draughts and increases security (can not rip a sheet of ply off under shiplap) nailed with ring shank nails

Les

I am in the process of building another summer house come gym at the moment, will take some pictures and post within the next couple of days. Busy building the windows and doors at the moment.

Les

Back