Options for phase conversion single to dual

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrips

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Fobco pillar drill that I'm trying to get working in a home setup (single phase). The motor 1HP, dual phase (415/230) and has a terminal block (pictured below) which boggles my mind. The 3 input wires are connected to 1L1, 3L2 and 5L3 respectively. I'm not sure what options are available. I've heard that I might be able to wire a capacitor across two of the windings to create a static inverter. Any thoughts?

IMG_0980.JPG

Chris

Hi,

Do you have a three phase motor that is dual voltage, i.e. on the info plate it has a section entitled V (meaning voltage) and it stated that 230/415 is listed. Is that correct?

If so I'd reckon you have an ideal candidate for an Inverter, or more correctly called a variable frequency drive.
To get the motor to run on 230 Volts you will need to have it wired in Delta. Get a qualified electrician to do this along with all electrical work.

Here's the first in a great video series by one of my favourite you-tubers on the topic in question. You'll be able to find part 2 on the youtube page.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23lwqq9uGg4

Here's somewhere you can get an inverter
http://www.newton-tesla.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=64_75_108

I would recommend you get a qualified electrician to install one of these.

Using a capacitor will certainly work but the machine will not be as versatile and may have a loss in torque as there is no real third phase. It is something to get a qualified electrician for, I cant really determine what size you need or how you should wire it up through a forum. (or even if i was standing in front of the machine)

Here's another video on someone who has done something similar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWpO2S3OL1Q

Hope that helps

Cheers
Donald

Chris I've not heard of a dual phase motor, one that runs on three phase and single phase. From what I understand three phase and single phase motors are quite different in how they run. I think you may be mistaken that it is a dual voltage motor but I could be wrong.

Do you think you could find on the motor the info plate with the details on it and post a picture of it, that might help.

Cheers
Donald

Surprised it's got a 1hp motor; my old Fobco Star has what looks like an ancient 1/4hp Brooks, and it's never been a real problem. Might a 1/2hp single phase motor be an adequate and potentially cheaper solution?

I believe the motor is standard foot mounted job, therefore I would have thought the cheapest option with a small motor such as this, would be to replace it with a single phase one, and a new starter of course.
still less than cost of decent inverter.
martin

Right here's what the motor has written on it:

RPM - 1425
V - 380 -415 / 220/40
50Hz
PH3
IP22 Enclosure

Can anyone recommend what single phase motor specs would best suit a replacement for this? Or a good place to look for a cheap inverter? £100 is just too much for me, I only want to shell out with half of that at the moment.

If you replace the motor you may have to replace the switch if it has a 400v coil in it, if you buy the inverter that replaces the switch

If it were me, then Gumtree/local freeAds or even Ebay would be first stop for a decent secondhand motor. Go for a foot mounting motor of 1/2 to 1hp which will probably cost you £20 or 30 and a no-volt/overload starter for something similar.
To me, an inverter and a large 3p motor seems like overkill.

Back