Opinions needed on a gate please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTR

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,

Doris has drawn up a design for our new garden gate. As the opening is quite wide (46"), and for other reasons of practicality, I am going to make it a double gate. The gates themselves will be a simple framed, ledged and braced construction. My question is this: how would you go about making the sunbeam design at the top? I have several things in mind already but I'd like to see what the forum thinks.

(please don't scrutinize the drawing too much, it is merely a sketch in electronic format)

Thanks

gate2.jpg

Depending on the radius of the arch. I think i would make it from a wide piece( s) of timber. Cut the arch out of sections of the timber. Either use biscuits or splines to join them and use a waterproof glue. If all that makes sense?

Probably not what you (or Doris) wants to hear, but my answer would be "don't" :D . IMHO, a nice flat top, level with the top of the right hand, lower wall would look much nicer.......

I like Carl's suggestion. To me, it looks as though you could cut each from a couple of boards egde-jointed together. You'd want to make your template before hand so that you can carefully set out the slots for biscuits or splines though (DAMHIKT).

carlb40":ypbtxopz said:
Depending on the radius of the arch. I think i would make it from a wide piece( s) of timber. Cut the arch out of sections of the timber. Either use biscuits or splines to join them and use a waterproof glue. If all that makes sense?

It took me a few moments but I got there in the end! (homer)
I definitely like the idea. However I did neglect to mention that, (despite the drawing) the sunbeam was supposed to be thinner than the surrounding frame. That's not to say the design can't be changed though.

dickm":ypbtxopz said:
Probably not what you (or Doris) wants to hear, but my answer would be "don't" :D

You can say what you like to me, but you can tell Doris yourself :shock: :lol:

No skills":ypbtxopz said:
Mix materials, get the sun beam bit done in metal.

This is an option that we were and still are considering.

Thanks for the suggestions

It really won't matter how thin you make the top arched pieces, it will be the radius that matters. Another option depending on timber used and tools available, is to do a bent lamination to form the arch. You could probably cut some 5mm thick veneers. Make a former to the radius you want. Then use the former to glue up the veneers into the arch using cascamite. Waterproof and rigid once set so will not spring back on you after releasing the arch from the former.
1 more option. use exterior grade ply. Cut the ply to form the arch. A thin veneer of timber glued over the exposed edges, then paint as required?

The 28mm exterior ply we use at work would probably do nicely for that, lasts for years exposed with little de-lam. But would still do it in steel personally.

Yes a double gate will have a small opening... but when opened a 46" gate will block most of the space between the fence and the house.

As for the original question, it's become a bit academic... she's redesigned the gate #-o

DTR":22b05oqq said:
Yes a double gate will have a small opening... but when opened a 46" gate will block most of the space between the fence and the house.

As for the original question, it's become a bit academic... she's redesigned the gate #-o

Could have been worse, you could have made the arch already :lol:

Latest posts

Back