Olympic handover

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok - sticking my neck out here. Watched it live and just saw the edited highlight on the news and still came to the same conclusion.

Naff and tacky are two adjectives that spring to mind. Seemed at times like a remake of a George Romero zombie film.

Is that really the best that we can come up with?

Rather depressing given the wealth of talent that we have in the country.

woodbloke":eclijmjk said:
Gotta love Boris tho'...Ping Pong's coming home :lol: :lol:

I saw that and I'm still laughing :lol: I reckon 2012 is going to be a fun Olympics :D Looking forward to it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Having just watched newsnight regarding team GB, I am saddened, apparently they are now saying that they want paying for performing in the 2012 games, expenses certainly, but wages for an amateur given/earning the the accolade to represent ones nation, never, this sounds like agents at work here, some might say that as the premier league prima donnas are paid to represent the country so should the olympians, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Regards,

Rich.

What annoyed me about the closing ceremony/handover was our insistence on using David Beckham for anything associated with sport. We do not even have an olympic football team yet here he comes again - ambassador for our nation. Surely a former olympian such as Daly Thompson would have been a more appropriate choice? To me it just underlines the obsession with celebrity we seem to have embraced and which is now perpetuated without thought.

I also saw on the news we used an image of Myra Hindly as part of our video montage. Have to wonder if anyone vets these things before they go public?!

Steve.

Rich":1t14w57e said:
...some might say that as the premier league prima donnas are paid to represent the country so should the olympians, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I'm quite sure footballers are not payed to represent their country. There's been a bit of fuss over it before, but clubs are more concerned with how many thousands in insurance they are owed each time their "stars" suffer an injury while on international duty.

Rich":x82lfqql said:
Having just watched newsnight regarding team GB, I am saddened, apparently they are now saying that they want paying for performing in the 2012 games, expenses certainly, but wages for an amateur given/earning the the accolade to represent ones nation, never, this sounds like agents at work here, some might say that as the premier league prima donnas are paid to represent the country so should the olympians, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Regards,

Rich.

I think it's worth keeping in mind that the origin of principled amateur games was to preserve sport as an exclusive past-time and free from the working classes (who either needed to go to work or to be professional in order to buy food and other luxuries) - it isn't quite the noble ideal of purity that it presents itself to be. Also, with the exception of boxing which remains amateur because the professional body are a bunch of safety averse backward scum, the Olympics haven't been an amateur competition since the 1990s.

I too watched the handover and wasn't impressed by our contribution. One thing they did get correct was all the dancers had brolleys! So at least the world knows what they are in for when they visit us.....rain! :lol: Have to admit that the show put on by the Chinese is going to take some beating and no way will we be the ones to do it. :wink:

Ok I realise I'm going to be lambasted here, but I quite liked our little 8 minute show. if it's an example of what our Olympics are going to be like then I'll be pretty happy - it was as it should be, fun, quirky, and a little chaotic. As a Londoner I'd say that was a pretty good description of London (at least the good bits).

And as for Boris, well if anybody expected any more they should have voted for someone else :wink:

davegw":28b2uvmb said:

And as for Boris, well if anybody expected any more they should have voted for someone else :wink:

Our boy was the best bit...smart cookie..I like him..not like that odious little toad who preceded him.

He doesn't pussy cat-foot around and need endless quangos, meetings, consultancies, focus groups. He simply said 'I'm Mayor. No more booze on the Underground' and that was that. Result? More people now are using the tube in the evening and at night knowing that the chances of them being accosted by some drunk pillock have been that little bit reduced.

Did anyone see the two part programme on the box a while back that Boris did about the economics of the Roman Empire? Can't remember all the details, suffice to say he's a very smart boy and not the buffoon character he likes to live up to - Rob

If that's correct Rich I'd say it was rather presumptuous of them, they might not qualify for anything in four years time!

Roy.

I sincerely hope that's not the case but as you say, chickens and hatched should be borne in mind.

Regards,

Rich.

SWMBO & I are both Boris fans, he is a very clever bloke and much of his "bumblings" is very tongue in cheek. The "Who do you think you are" with him as subject last week, was a joy to watch ( even if the events were a little contrived).

My take on him he is so assured of his own intelect he does not give a sh** what the MEEJA cretins think of him.

Better someone who says "look this is me warts & all" than the deceitful "drones" we have had representing us for the past 20 years.

lurker":2prciswz said:
SWMBO & I are both Boris fans, he is a very clever bloke and much of his "bumblings" is very tongue in cheek. The "Who do you think you are" with him as subject last week, was a joy to watch ( even if the events were a little contrived).

My take on him he is so assured of his own intelect he does not give a sh** what the MEEJA cretins think of him.

Better someone who says "look this is me warts & all" than the deceitful "drones" we have had representing us for the past 20 years.

Saw that...very, very good indeed - Rob

woodshavings":1k99woaa said:
davegw":1k99woaa said:
I quite liked our little 8 minute show. if it's an example of what our Olympics are going to be like then I'll be pretty happy

Yup, me too, hope I'll be able to get there!

John
Me too, and David Beckham was a good choice as he is probably the most famous Brit in the world today, just look how the Chinese reacted to him.

Back